Author Topic: Rumex  (Read 1313 times)

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
Rumex
« on: June 13, 2007, 12:56:41 »
We have a Rumex growing in the garden, I say Rumex as it is of the dock/sorrel family, but I am not sure exactly what it is, but its a weed anyway.
I have noticed that it is completely covered in blackfly. My first reaction was to spray it with my rhubarb water and pull it up, and then it occured to me that I didnt have a blackfly problem on anything that I am growing in the garden, the closest thing to it is the peas, and they dont have any blackfly!
So, by having this growing, does it attract the blackfly away from everything else in your garden? Like a companion plant/sacrificial plant? Has anyone else noticed this?
Sue
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Rumex
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 17:00:25 »
Aphids often infest a limited range of species, so these may be totally different from the aphids you get on veg.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 17:21:50 »
I'd have thought that since the blackfly seem to like your dock, they'll be multiplying like mad, and if they're the kind to affect your other plants they'll move on to them soon enough. Maybe your best bet is to cut the affected stems down and destroy them

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 20:30:33 »
Thanks for the advice
Sue
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal