Author Topic: Red Tomato Chutney  (Read 3592 times)

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
Red Tomato Chutney
« on: June 06, 2004, 19:26:01 »
I made a mistake when I first made this chutney and put the wrong fruit in, I still get muddled up so instead of currants and sultanas I used dried pears, apples, prunes, apricots etc. but was delighted with the results.  [my mum said it would never work but asked for another pot......high praise indeed]

Red Tomato and fruit Chutney

1 kilo cooking apples peeled, cored and chopped.  1 kilo red tomatoes skinned and chopped.   375g onions chopped.   2 cloves garlic. 250g Tuti Fruti chopped.  375g dark brown sugar.  125g mustard seed tied in bag. 20g curry powder.  1 tsp cayenne pepper.  1 tsp salt.  nutmeg and mixed spice to taste [I like lots] 900ml malt vinegar+-.

Stew apples and Tuti Fruti in very little water until until soft,  strain off water and add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until thick.  Makes 7 pots. If you sterilise the pots and put them in a hot oven then pour the boiling chutney straight in the lids will reseal with vacuum when cold.

Hope you like it Chezzie!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Red Tomato Chutney
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 16:32:35 »
Sounds gorgeous - must give it a try. But what is Tuti Fruiti?
gone to pot :D

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 16:39:44 »
Dried Mixed Fruit apples, pears, apricots, prunes etc......it's usually next to the sultanas.

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 16:44:58 »
Chezzie, are you posting that gorgeous recipe on R4A as well, so's we won't have to troll too much when we are ready to concoct it?  :D
Muddy Boots

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 17:07:08 »
There used to be a link at the top of the page MB if I can find it I will.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 22:12:08 »
Sounds lush Chezzie.  I guess any mixed dried fruit could be used - I love to experiment with fruits and nuts in things, amazing the different tastes and textures you can create!  Bet it is great dolloped on top of a big juicy burger fresh off the barby!  :P

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 22:29:55 »
Thanks EJ, yes to BBQ and burgers, also good with very strong cheese and Indian food.  I've another with green tomatoes and curry that's been passed down through the family from my grandmother, I'll type it out tomorrow it's 11:30 now.  Do you happen to know what the link is for Recipes 4 All I can't find it on Google.  Chezzie

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 22:32:23 »
Chezzie, just type in, www.recipes4all.co.uk and you go to it.  ;D

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 07:16:33 »
Chezzie,
Love the sound of the green tomatoes and chutney.

I grew 'gardeners delight toms last year in greenhouse and had a bumper crop, so made loads of green tomato chutney- which we
still have abundance of!!

Shall have to give some away to make room for this years jam making & chutney making.

Shall have to go, 7yr old is up singing and brushing teeth so need to get my cooks hat on for breakfast time ;D ;D

Debs

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 07:49:11 »
If that's not the sign of a happy child Debs I'd like to know what is up, cleaning teeth and singing at 7.15!!!!

I'll post the recipe this afternoon [have to go out now] the oldest one I ate was made by my aunt and it was 10 years old, I was going to say 'better' but I'll change that to just as good as a vintage champagne.  I've only got one pot and that's two years old, every time I try and save them for posterity the old ego kicks in when someone asks if I've got any left!   ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal