Author Topic: WHAT'S UP WITH MY PUMPKINS?  (Read 1984 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
WHAT'S UP WITH MY PUMPKINS?
« on: June 06, 2004, 09:37:25 »
I sowed some pumpkin seed on 25th may & they're still not through.  

Do they take a long time to germinate or are they likely to have died?  They were planted in individual pots & left in my greenhouse to help them along.   All the other seed I planted on the same day have germinated & are coming along a treat.

Is it worth planting a second batch or just giving the first batch another 7 to 10 to start showing before I try to buy some plants.

CC

ps. i planted the bright orange variety 'cos i wanted the pumpkins for halloween
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Ceri

• Hectare
Re:WHAT'S UP WITH MY PUMPKINS?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 12:04:50 »
I do remember mine taking a while - can't remember how long though - I was so keen to grow them I even dug about in the pot to see if the seed was doing anything!  It was luckily so I covered it back up gently and waited a bit more!

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 15:55:14 »
I would expect germination within a week to ten days at this time of the year.

Try emptying out one of the pots to se if the seed has rotted off.

I would say you still have time to get another batch on the go.

p.s They do not like being too wet at this stage, I normally give them a good soaking at sowing time then no more until the seedlings emerge.

The Gardener

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 22:57:26 »
Yup, I would have a poke around in the pot and see if anything is happening, but then I am sooooo impatient!  ;D  Tis curious tho, some of my squashes came through really quick, and others seemed to take ages!  And my cucumbers....never did!  >:(  (Note to self, must try to remember to nip to the garden centre tomorrow and buy a couple of plants)

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 14:50:43 »
If it's anything like butternut squash, I had 6 plants in a mini-greenhouse (unheated) and after 4 weeks only 2 have germinated, I put two in pots in a propogator and they were 2 inches high after 5 days!! So perhaps pumpkins need a bit of extra heat?

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 16:25:33 »
Well, came home from work yesterday evening to find five out of the six pumpkins I plants have now germinated.  Two are streaking ahead so perhaps they got wind of my concern & decided to make an effort before being chucked out as no good :)

I had actually moved their tray up a level in my greenhouse to see if it would jolly them along & so far it seems to be working
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 09:12:18 »
Hurrah! Glad to hear that they've germinated.  :)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal