Author Topic: Frame for growing tomatoes  (Read 717 times)

veggiewomble

• Half Acre
  • veggiewomble
Frame for growing tomatoes
« on: June 11, 2007, 11:59:56 »
I am growing tomatoes in a big trough on my terrace and its becoming obvious that my staking system is proving inadequate for the huge plants. The Moneymaker in particular, has become enormous and tends to fall over in the rain/wind, taking the stake down with it. I don't know what else to do as my options are very limited. I can't stake anything larger on either side of the trough because I am growing on a tiled terrace and not bare ground... seems like I need a purpose-built frame - any idea where I might get one of these?

The local Homebase mostly stocks houseplant supplies because I live in central London.
 :o
vegwomble

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Frame for growing tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 13:21:15 »
Most of the purpose built frames are wire, and pretty flimsy.  Excuse the poor drawing, but what I'd do is illustrated below ...

Buy some suitable timber, say approx 35mm x 35mm.  Cut and screw together a simple frame to surround the trough.   Drill holes at suitable intervals at a slight angle, and put bamboo canes in to form the legs of a frame.  Tie cross pieces on with twine or cable ties.  You might also strengthen it fore-and-aft with further canes (not shown).

That should produce a simple and cheap solution that can be dismantled back to a small volume, and reused in future seasons.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal