Author Topic: How would you define organic?  (Read 3056 times)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: How would you define organic?
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 11:39:29 »
Trains running on diesel will spit out the odd particulate or two of heavy metal residue, never mind the results of flushing while not in a station.  At least the brakes don't spew out asbestos dust nowadays.  Do they?
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 11:58:37 »
I suppose similar considerations apply if you're near a road (apart from the flushing I hope) ??? At least we've taken the lead out of the petrol, and replaced it with carcinogenic benzene, tho that's being phased out, down to 1% from more than 20% in the 70's

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 14:58:50 »
This post has revealed some fascinating stuff, I wonder actually if anyone can claim to be truly organic.

The arsenic as an aphrodisiac amused me, I wonder who was the first one to try that out!!

The plot across the road to me which has just changed hands has an asbestos shed on it, the council are coming to shift it though,that will be interesting.

It is funny what we use these days that would probably be banned if it was new today,not lottie stuff of course,but salt,sugar and tobacco probably wouldn't get through the food and drug boys.

I suppose if we are all doing the best we can we are doing OK.

I wonder too of there are any restrictions on lotties as to what they can use or is some stuff banned.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 16:02:57 »
Organic is a difficult term - first meaning is carbon based chemistry (covalent bonds, etc) - well, a lot of the insecticides are "organic" compounds from a chemistry point of view.

Is being "organic" a shopper in Wales buying organically grown carrots from Egypt instead of "non-organic" carrots from Scotland? Is there "organic" method of transport - i.e. not flying food from miles away that were grown organically... ?

Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 17:05:42 »
"organic" has been over hyped in the media-apart from the statement I posted yesterday I also heard a judge of gardens saying "I am looking for `organic` so I want to see a compost bin"

Remember every celeb chef using extra virgin olive oil-even though it is not suited to frying at high temperatures?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 20:33:50 »
rantm rant
we're having the same old problem, one of the members is talking about 'blitzing 'his plot with farmer's weedkiller, at the end of the season, then 6 weeks later, doing it again..
well, i don't know about you but, we don't have an end to the season, there's always something growing there, leeks, brassicas, chinese veggies, parsnips..I'm thinking of proposing that certain weedkillers should be banned from the site  >:( :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 20:41:04 »
Oh I would be getting angry about that. Is he allowed to have the stuff or has he wangled it from someone.If he has got it via the back door maybe you could challege him on it. That is not easy I realise, could you tell him fib and say you are severley allergic to weedkillers, that you can get a reaction up to 4 weks later and you need a copy of the bottle/box so when they take you to hospital they know how to treat you immediately. He would have to be a bit of a cad if he still did it.

Good luck on this one XX Jeannine

Actually I think I am going to bring this up at our next meetind as I want to know the policy on our lottie
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 20:43:26 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 20:42:21 »
he's got a 'friend' who will let him have some  >:(

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007, 20:45:20 »
He is not licensed to use it then,there has to be someone you can contact because he dosen't know what he is doing if he has no license, and i think he could be in truoble for trying. I would follow it through quickly XX Jeannine

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 21:19:19 »
I've informed the committee, and told them our thoughts about it  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2007, 21:32:14 »
Well done. XXJeannine I think this sort of stuff should be  lottie policy

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2007, 21:37:24 »
I think farmers use glysophate, only difference its in undiluted form which they make to their own strength  and you don't need a licence for it
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2007, 22:16:44 »
My mother just bought some sodium chlorate from Wilkinsons, after someone told her it was good for keeping weeds off the paths. Strictly speaking she's right. Nothing would  grow there probably for about five years.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2007, 08:00:47 »
You can usually grow stuff after 1 year of of using Sodium Chlorate but you have to be careful with it as it spreads.

I would not know if i grow organic or not.  I do know that i would not touch Organic Compost with a barge pole with a bottle of Demestos on the end.
I could not tell you if organic veg taste,s any different to mine. All i want at the end of the day is a good result for the hard work i have put in.
I make up my own fertilizers of Ammonia. Lime, Potash and Fish Blood and Bone (recipe,s are available) i also use Growmore. I spray my veg with Lemon washing up liquid and only if i cant blast something off or get rid of it by another method i use Bug Clear
Its very hard for allotment holders to be organic as when other plot holders who use chemicals spray there plot it will be carried on the wind to your plot.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2007, 09:02:19 »
compost is another thing we should think about. What's wrong with organic compost btw, not that i've ever used it? It used to worry me that I was growing things to make a lovely garden for wildlife etc, and at the same time contributing to the destruction of the Irish peat bogs, some kind of unique natural enviromnent, the like of which we'll never see again. We might complain that the compost we use now is a bit useless, but that's a small price to pay I think

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2007, 11:07:07 »
This is a great thread - I found the following dictionary definitions for organic:

Organic farming is a form of agriculture which avoids or largely excludes the use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides, plant growth regulators, and livestock feed additives. As far as possible organic farmers rely on crop rotation, crop residues, animal manures and mechanical cultivation to maintain soil productivity and tilth, to supply plant nutrients, and to control weeds, insects and other pests.

Organic horticulture is the science and art of growing fruits, vegetables, flowers, or ornamental plants by following the essential principles organic agriculture in soil building and conservation, pest management, and heritage-species preservation.

Organic food is produced according to certain production standards. For crops, it means they were grown without the use of conventional pesticides, artificial fertilizers, human waste, or sewage sludge, and that they were processed without ionizing radiation or food additives

Don't know if this helps much, I think that if you are being as "organic" as you can be, and are happy to eat your "organic" crops, then you must be being organic!  :)
Kathi :-)

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2007, 11:23:24 »
There is a very high possibility that I am wrong ::), but thought that the rules made by the soil association for farmers who want to be classified as organic, state that the land has to be free from pesticides etc for 7 years before the term organic can be applied.

My general feeling on our allotment is that I will try to grow things as naturally as poss. with minimal use of slug pellets etc. Going on the theory that at least I know what has been used on the food that I am going to feed my family with.
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2007, 11:30:01 »
Coznbob, you're right, but the soil association actually exceeds government "Organic" standards:

"Wherever you see it you can be sure that the food you have purchased has been produced and processed to strict animal welfare and environmental standards. The Soil Association has probably the highest and most comprehensive standards for organic production and processing in the world.

Our standards not only meet the UK government's minimum requirements but in many areas are higher. This is particularly true with animal welfare (for example, pigs and poultry) and the use of pesticides."

Kathi
Kathi :-)

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2007, 11:39:03 »
Ahh, good. Glad to see I haven't given all my brain cells to the kids!

I think the term organic means different things to different people, sometimes I think to some people it is more of a fashion statement and a declaration of wealth, than an idealology. But as long as we all can keep some kind of balance with nature it will help in the long run.
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2007, 12:25:27 »
The UK organic standards I think are higher than other countries. What is, say "organic" in Hungary might not reach the UK standards if it was grown in exactly the same way here?
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal