Author Topic: unknown berry  (Read 3623 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
unknown berry
« on: June 10, 2007, 15:22:16 »
Can anyone identify these berries? I have a bush growing on my allotment. It seems very productive. Any suggestions with what to do with them would be great too! :)

lilybetbee

• Not So New ...
Re: unknown berry
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 15:24:12 »
Aren't they not quite ripe blackcurrants?

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 15:29:08 »
Oooh, oooh I know this one!!! They are Jostaberries,  a cross between a blackcurrant and a gooseberry. I have them on my new lottie. They are expensive plants to buy.

They seem to fruit on old wood though, and mine are mainly new growth. Mine are not ripe yet though >:(

cj :)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 15:33:31 »
Thanks Caroline!  ;D Our plant is very well established and is covered in berries. Most are not ripe, but a few are thereabouts. I tasted one. They tasted quite sour but not as bad as gooseberries. I might try making jam out of them or maybe a crumble. I quite fancy using them to make a chutney so if anyone has a good tried and tested recipe?

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 15:39:28 »
Let me know how the chutney goes. I love chutney, and am always looking for a new idea. I suppose you coud always use the recipe for a gooseberry chutney. I'll keep my eye out for one.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 17:50:44 »
Do the hang like this on the bush?

If so they are blackcurrants

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 17:56:31 »
I second the jostaberry diagnosis as I grow them also.  Leave them on the bush whilst they are black a while longer yet.  They will sweeten up considerably.  Not as yummy as blackcurrants, but a darn close second.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 18:21:10 »
This looks interesting, I am always on the lookout for soft fruits, can someone tell me more about them please. eg size of berry, yeild off a mature plant, taste compared to it's parents. How long before a bush fruits would be good.

Thank you XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 19:08:24 »
Let me know how the chutney goes. I love chutney, and am always looking for a new idea. I suppose you coud always use the recipe for a gooseberry chutney. I'll keep my eye out for one.

oooo i fancy gooseberry chutney  we can,t eat jam as it,s got a high sugar content alright if you can stop at a bit but we are gluttons can you put it in reciepes please
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 20:08:03 »
Whoopee! That's the same as mine..........I 'inherited' the bush from a leaving poltholder. Joy is owning a Jostaberry bush for me......happy dance... ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 22:42:05 »
This looks interesting, I am always on the lookout for soft fruits, can someone tell me more about them please. eg size of berry, yeild off a mature plant, taste compared to it's parents. How long before a bush fruits would be good.

Thank you XX Jeannine
Jeannine, if you go to www.growingyourown.info then fruit and click Jostaberry, you will find what I have written about it. If you click on the flower photo, you will see that the flower petals have a red tinge. I would add that it took two years to start fruiting with me, but it is now producing as much fruit as a large blackcurrant bush.
It is very easy to take cuttings, just as you would do with blackcurrants or gooseberries. Take a semi-ripe cutting about 45 cms long and put it into a pot in an sheltered spot until it roots in a couple of months. If you cannot find a mature specimen near you, let me know and I can take cuttings for you when I prune mine in the Autumn.
My site has only just been put up onto the net, and is still in the testing stage. There will be some minor changes in the next couple of weeks.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 22:50:41 »
Thank you, a very interesting site,I can see you have put a lot of work into. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 23:54:40 »
If you come down to Derby any time  Jeannine you can have one... they never fail as cuttings, but will form a 6-8 foot cube if you ignore them... up to 30lbs of fruit from each "bush"...
 ;D

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 23:57:15 »
Sparkly,you don't say if it's a prickly bush so I guess not but if it is it's a worcesterberry.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 00:01:01 »
Josta berries though are not prickly...
 8)

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 00:02:50 »
That's what I'm saying.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 00:03:58 »
and I agree...

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 00:07:00 »
great minds etc etc, and your poppies look really good

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 00:13:01 »
Ta!
 ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 00:13:12 »
Oh Saddad that sounds super, I am never in Derby though but I am going to Google for a supplier, thank you XX Jeaniine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal