Author Topic: Tomato plants - i didn't put them there  (Read 4291 times)

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
Tomato plants - i didn't put them there
« on: May 18, 2007, 16:50:15 »
I have just moved a load of junk out of the way in my greenhouse, and discovered lots of tomato plants growing in the floor!

Admittedly I wasn't very good with my tidying and let lots of the fruit drop on the floor. Well the seeds from these have germinated quite nicely and are now plants of about 10cm high!

Can I pot these up? I think that they were Gardeners delight, but can't remember.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Tomato plants - i didn't put them there
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 16:55:47 »
You can pot them up but if the parents were F1 Hybrids it will be anybodies guess what you will actually get as fruit this year! If you have a currant type open pollinated some seed always end up in the soil, make a great indicator weed for soil temps...
 ;D

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 16:56:50 »
Yes pot them up. Dont know if they will come true, depends if you had other varieties, but thats part of the fun isnt it :-) Perhaps they will be Gardeners Surprise.

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 16:07:29 »
Thank you! It would be a shame to waste them and I like surprises!  ;D

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 19:59:12 »
OH has been at the lottie today.  Whlilst weeding I came across some self seeded tomatoes and was about to pull them out and pop them on the compost heap, when OH got all protective over them and made me leave them !!!  he doesn't even garden.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 20:20:39 »
Not wanting to put anyone off eating tomatoes but some of the best I have ever tasted grew on a sewage farm.

For those who don't know how they got there let me tell you the human body can't digest the seeds so they eventually (without putting to fine a point on it) end up on the sewage farm.

It used to be lovely to get up in the morning and collect some fresh tomatoes then go over the fields and collect wild mushrooms for breakfast add a rasher of bacon...yummy!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 22:51:31 »
I've seen toms growing out of cracks in the pavement... no doubt following someone's pavement pizza episode!
 ;D

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 23:29:06 »
Remember not to put toms into the compost - otherwise you'll get self-seeded plants wherever you dig the compost in!  :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 14:31:48 »
Asbean glad you told me that as I think I did that last year but havn't used that compost yet.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 23:41:29 »
Pot them on and sell them???
The Tuscan Beaneater

Astrogirl72

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 13:00:50 »
I think that it was on 'Have I Got News For You' a couple of years ago that I heard that there are many many tomato plants growing on the tracks at railway stations due to people flushing when they're not supposed to.  Don't know why it would particularly be at stations, don't people flush further down the track?

Astro

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 14:17:27 »
I've seen toms growing out of cracks in the pavement... no doubt following someone's pavement pizza episode!
 ;D

I saw this last year in the road next to mine - did a major double-take when I realised what it was, but your pizza theory perhaps explains it (or the carelessness of our bin men!).

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 09:35:28 »
I re-seeded a large patch of our lawn at home the other month, and used some of my sieved home made compost to cover the seeds. OH has been moaning about the number of weeds that have germinated there, and seem to be doing better than the grass........had a closer look yesterday, mostly tomato plant seedlings!!! :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 18:35:41 »
That'll teach you  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The Tuscan Beaneater

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 00:29:50 »
Astrogirl, I worked on the railways and people really shouldn't flush in stations believe me. Down the track it gets dispersed. Newer trains have holding tanks but changing rail in St Pancras at night used to be a horrible experience.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal