Author Topic: First interview in 9 years....  (Read 8878 times)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
First interview in 9 years....
« on: June 07, 2007, 19:56:03 »
I am sooo nervous. Tomorrow - 3.30pm.

I've had part time jobs here and there - breeze them as they are so desperate for staff I could go in picking my nose and wearing pants on my head and get it - but this is a 'proper' job I actually want.

Have been onto totaljobs cramming swotty answers and thinking of good questions for the interviewer. Just making me more nervous so I am going to go and watch Springwatch now and forget about it.

Wish me luck.  ??? :-[ :-\ :'(
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

notlaps

• Not So New ...
  • Gwen i wish i was!
Re: First interview in 9 years....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 20:28:45 »
Hi Just wanted to wish you luck, and a tip that i always use smile! People remember people who smile, what's the job? Oh and if you can think of an answer to a question straight away repeat the question out loud it will give you time to think. ;D
The grass is never green on the other side, so improve the lawn you have!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 20:30:28 »
Emmy I really wish you luck tomorrow and may I please share something with you that someone told me years ago.

On your interview you are trying to convince the interviewer that you are the right person for the job,you are in effect selling yourself, this is something most of us are not good at. So try imagining you are selling somebody else. If you were having a discussion with the interviewer about the merits of another person you knew who you were sure was good and you wanted them to get the job you would make a great job of selling them, so don't try to sell you....sell Emmy!!

It really does work,it is so much easier to discuss the merits of a friend instead of ourselves.

However I will be thinking of you, at 3.30, good luck sweetie XXXXX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 20:35:45 »
Good luck Emmy  :)!!!

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 20:48:18 »
Wow Jeannine, that is such a good idea! Brilliant, will definately try that as you say, my nightmare is the whole 'sell yourself' thing. I could do it for anyone else in a heart beat though so thank you.  :)
 I am a smiley little monkey anyway - that's part of my worry is that I  will smile like a loon through the whole thing and look like a gibbering fool.  :P

The job is relief worker at the family learning centre that i have used since my kids were babies for all my courses. It will be some admin and creche work, some adult learner support.

The job is great as it is fantastic all round experience for me, loads of training and development, term time and school hours only. So I can do my degree, look after my girls and work, which is a pretty good deal I reckon!  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks all. Will let you know if I fluff it or not!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 21:06:49 »
good luck.  ;)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 21:09:58 »
Hey emmy, just wanted to wish you the best of luck tomorrow afternoon.  Good advice from Jeannine, i've never thought about interviews that way, but will next time!  I would also say smiling is important ;D , it makes you less nervous and they immediately think you're a friendly type of person too.

All the best honey, do let us know how you do x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 21:11:13 »
emmy, everything crossed for you, even my eyes..mind you, I've had my pills  ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 21:38:18 »
loads 'n' loadsa luck emmy.  ;D

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 21:41:23 »
Good luck and hope you get the job, it sounds perfect! ;D
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 21:41:47 »
fingers crossed for you- go for it  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 22:06:26 »
EM,

Good luck, relax and try not to get 2 verbal as you might open your mouth 2 far and follow with your foot.

You want to have an air of confidence ( not arogance ) and you want to be professional and approachable.

If you ask you a question there wanting to A) get a sence of you character, b) there wanted to see how you communicate c) they want to see what experiance they bring to the role

Where possible apply examples of how you have resolved problems/confilcts/added leadership etc

It kind of depends on what the role requires.

DO NOT PUT YOURSELF UNDER 2 MUCH PRESSURE AS THIS WILL MAKE YOU PANIC AND YOU MIGHT NOT GIVE A GOOD ACCOUNT OF YOURSELF.

9 times out of 10 interviews are done using a score sheet so that they are scoring your answers so you need to make sure you get the maximum score for each question. Dont be afraid to take a moment to think of an answer rather than tell them the first thing that comes out of your mouth. That said sometimes this can also be the best answer but you need to stop and think.

Big hug for tomorrow.

Louise

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 22:12:20 »
good luck  E - let us know how it goes

what great advice I found it really helpful too - thanks peeps

PlotSurfer

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 22:15:29 »
All the best of luck!

Just remember to give them a good firm handshake as soon as you walk in - and then again as you're leaving!

Fingers crossed

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 22:44:48 »
bestest Luck emmy, knock em dead, and just imagine them naked....................makes the interviewer more human somehow, and could provide you with a laugh! :o ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

iain

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 23:55:37 »
Good luck for tommorrow, be thinking of you.
Let how you got

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 00:26:38 »
Good luck ma duck ;)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 06:13:01 »
good luck emmy.  i used to get jobs by chatting about eastenders !  i do NOT recommend this type of interview, the jobs were usually rubbish lol.

i got promotion back in february where they had a score sheet thingy, and if this doddering old fool can get through one, you'll do it with ease.

have a few really good practical examples tucked up your sleeve that are true ! 

apparently sipping water (while thinking of the answer to a question) doesn't actually buy you time, it dulls your brain, so just LOOK as if your taking a sip.

everything crossed here.

xx
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Sajaself

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 07:24:51 »
Good Luck.

I start work today at 10am .First in ages. So I know how nervous you must be feeling. Loads of good advice here and so many people wishing you all the best you will be ok.  Remeber as well to wear something you feel good and comfortable in.

As my sons says GO ON  YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 07:59:59 »
Emmy, don't forget to ask questions,they have to talk then,uses up some time and it shows interest on your part.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal