Author Topic: Ahhhh Squirrel in loft....what do i do???  (Read 4823 times)

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
Ahhhh Squirrel in loft....what do i do???
« on: June 07, 2007, 12:26:31 »
Didnt get a wink of sleep last night.

I think I only have one but how do I get rid of it.

Council wont do anything but did advise to play a radio loud in the loft so it goes away and then i can try and seal the exposed gutter that I think it got in.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

Rose.mary

• Acre
Re: Ahhhh Squirrel in loft....what do i do???
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 19:47:23 »
I bought a squirrel trap so I could release any I caught a long way away. So far the only thing that has shown any interest is a hedgehog. Showed it to the kids on the site and then we released it, only to have it take up residence the day after.

Rosemary

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 20:56:07 »
would a sonic mouse scarer work, plug it in and they don't like the noise..my sister swears by them  :)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 10:30:59 »
Move!

lOUISE
Grow yer bugger grow!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 11:32:14 »
would a sonic mouse scarer work, plug it in and they don't like the noise..my sister swears by them  :)

We used these when a squirrel got into our loft space.  We needed quite a few of them (4 IIRC) to cover the whole area, and left them connected permanently.  The squirrel went away, but whether he would have done anyway, I don't know!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 11:37:09 »
Find a bunch of smokers & offer them the opportunity to chain smoke in your loft for a couple of hours ( provide safe ashtrays and a fire extinguisher).

When squirrel exits, block up hole

( oh, remember to let the smokers out too  ::)  )

It worked when my parents were having problems with bats making a serious mess of the front door & step of the house a few years ago...........
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 22:33:59 »
They bite if you pick them up - my brother found this out when he was a little boy and tried  to look after an injured squirrel. It quite put him off being a vet - he became a doctor instead!!! Don't think he has been bitten by a patient yet, but.............

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 23:00:05 »
Get it out as quickly as possible - they chew stuff, including electrical cables (well, maybe it might electrocute itself, and save you the trouble
The Tuscan Beaneater

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 09:28:46 »
Poison?

Stan0406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 14:42:44 »
We had a squirrel in our loft - like you say the council will not do anything.
We got rid of ours using a trap - and put lots or yummy treats in it for him.  It worked really quickly - so would recommend.  BOught ours from a large garden centre, and after we caught it, released it several miles away in the woods!

Don't put poison down, as they will eat, feel ill, and bury themselves in something in the loft...... a few weeks later - you will be able to smell them, but possibly not find it.
Get rid quick - they caused so much damage in our loft - ate the christmas decorations, ate through the wires to the lights in our room, chewed through the lagging on the pipes - you name it, it did it.
GET RID

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 15:34:37 »
Stan0406, by trapping the american grey tree rat, and releasing it 'several miles away' you are commiting an offence.  They are vermin.  If trapped, they should be despatched (killed) in situ.  Personally, I would get a pest controller in, to trap and kill the squirrel(s).

They may look all cute, and sweet, but they are not!!  Magpies get 'bad press' for being responsible for the demise of songbirds in the UK.  Believe me, the grey squirrel is far more responsible.  ChrisG, don't be mealy mouthed about them - kill the illegitimate sods!!  Your insurance company will not be too impressed when you try to claim for rewiring the house for the damage they have cuased, especially if you have done nothing to 'remove/eradicate' them!!

They are vermin, they need to be treated as such!!

valmarg

valmarg

Stan0406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 23:14:56 »
Yes I know they are vermin - and should get rid of - kids wouldn't have it... however the amount of damage it caused - it did deserve to be killed..... NEXT time!
Touch wood - have never had another one since.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 22:18:07 »
Well so far it hasnt caused any damage, so i dont think it is a squirrel.

Could just be mice (large loud mice) so put some traps down.

Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you updated

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 00:14:10 »
We had a squirrel in our (bungalow) loft. I did buy a sonic scarer but I rang the company first to discuss which sort to buy. The very informative chappie told me that if the squirrel is nesting or has young, it will not leave under any circumstances, it will put up with any amount of unbearable noise until it is ready to go but it wont return. Indeed this is what seems to have happened here. I bought a Lentek Pest-X, expensive but worth it.  ;)
Smile, it confuses people.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 00:17:44 »
Could be birds nesting,I have them and they siund like elephants, they move on after the season. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

DadnDom

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 21:22:42 »
We had one last year, went right through the security lights cabling.

No real choice I shot it.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 22:37:46 »
Not in the loft, I hope  ???
The Tuscan Beaneater

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 07:48:39 »
Any chance it could be a Roland? (rat) ???

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2007, 08:31:09 »
We have had squirrells in our loft too. They lift up the tiles, (iI have seen them doing it on other houses) and brak through the felt. We have a number of holes in our felt where they have got in. They did not seem to take up residence and I have not found any damage done by them. I would not be able to kill them. I was thinking of getting a trap and releasing it but it just went. About it being illegal to let it out again. Well I would risk it. it's illegal to deal drugs but I see them doing it in broad daylight. Lots of stuff are illegal and people get away with it. If I was done for releasing a squirrel I would certainly make a mountain of it!!!
We have had mice in the loft a few times. i put down traps and never got any, thankfully as I may have been sick if I'd found one. I put poison down and that seemed to do the trick. Now they did do damage. The chewed my xmas decorations, Got into suitcases and chewed old baby clothing, the stuff I wanted to keep, chewed the insulation stuff and loads of cardboard. We have had birds in the loft too, they do sound very loud, as loud as squirrels. When I think of it, my loft  must be like a wild life zoo, may have to charge admission!!!LOL ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2007, 08:38:50 »
The trouble with poison is they find a warm place to be in because they feel so grim, then they die there, the smell is something else, and you can't find the rotting corpse because they are so well hidden! It happened here when we moved in and the pong went on for about 3 months. We traced it to under the floorboards, but couldn't find it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal