Author Topic: Storing elderflower cordial  (Read 24078 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Storing elderflower cordial
« on: June 06, 2007, 17:45:12 »
What is the best way to store it and how long will it keep?

ksia

• Quarter Acre
  • Mayenne, France
Re: Storing elderflower cordial
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 09:01:34 »
It freezers very well.
Depends how much you make as to how long it lasts but we had our last one of last years batch in April and it was as lovely as ever.
Put into what ever bottle sizes are useful for you (with a gap at top) also in ice cubes trays (useful for recipes needing a little without defrosting loads)

HappyCatz

• Quarter Acre
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 09:39:27 »
it will store for up to three months unopened in sterilised bottles.  once opened though you need to keep it in the fridge.  i always make at least two batches, one to keep going through the summer and the other to freeze, i use plastic squash bottles for the freezer  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 22:34:03 »
Hi Caroline... we store ours in the outside brick shed in sterilised bottles and it keeps the year until the next batch... which I have just put in the shed this evening... if you come to the open day next tyear, or in Sept. you can tatse trial Alison's!
 ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 08:19:18 »
Thanks, now Iknow it stores well, I'll be making lots more! We have a cellar so will probably keep it down there.

alit

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 15:22:04 »
At an open garden day on Sunday we were given some home made elderflower cordial with home made lemonade.  it was both refreshing and delicious.  does anyone have a recipe for the elderflower cordial and for home made lemonade please.  Alit.  :)

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 19:24:57 »
Hi - this is one I have used for 3 weeks in a row - I am going to continue as there are several elder trees I can take flowers from (and still leave some for elderberry wine later in the year!). I love this recipe and its dead easy!

Sophie Grigsonā€™s elderflower cordial

20 heads of elderflower
1.8kg sugar
1.2 litres water
2 un-waxed lemons
75g citric acid

1.   Shake elderflowers to get rid of insects and place in large bowl
2.   Put sugar into pan with water. Bring to the boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved completely.
3.   While sugar syrup is heating, pare zest of lemons off in wide strips and toss into the bowl with the elderflowers. Slice lemons, discard ends and add slices to the bowl. Pour over the boiling syrup and then stir in the citric acid. Cover with a cloth and leave at room temperature for 24 hours.
4.   Next day strain cordial through a sieve lined with muslin (or a new j-cloth rinsed in boiling water) and pour into thoroughly cleaned glass or plastic bottles.

Hope you enjoy!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 20:18:58 »
As I didn't have any citric acid at the weekend, I used a recipe whci included cream of tartar. But it turned out pretty horrible- really sweet and none of that refreshing edge that the other recipe had. Think it will end up down the sink! :(

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 12:50:07 »
Our recipe uses tartaric acid... which isn't the same.... as cream of tartar, and puts the edge on it..
 8)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 13:30:08 »
I use Sophie Grigson's recipe too, although I use three lemons and omit the citric acid because I always forget to get any, and I'd read somewhere that you could just increase the number of lemons instead.  I have no idea how it compares taste wise as I've never made it any other way to compare, but I like it.

I freeze it in old ice cream or soup containers and then just scoup out a spoonfull at a time, as there is so much sugar in it it doesn't freeze solid. I'm still using last years and it's still good.

Sp x

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 18:02:23 »
I think maybe using the zest as in Sophie Grigson's recipe also adds more of a tang than just slicing the lemons.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 23:32:06 »
Just back from the Kensington Hilton.. , no I wasn't paying...
Have purloined 6 1L water bottles with metal screw caps and a couple of 1/2L bottles which are now full of the 2nd batch... I picked the Flowers Sat night before going to London for OH...
 ::)

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 11:38:17 »
:) I'm going to have ago at this, it sound delicious, But where do I get citric acid from? ???
Life is to short !!!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 11:43:16 »
hi

i would love to do this but not sure where the elderflower bushes are, i found this before you posted.

http://transitionculture.org/2006/06/30/making-elderflower-cordial-while-the-sun-shines/

Cambourne7

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 14:18:33 »
Get citric acid from your local chemist- note from other threads- Boots will not supply it because they think you're going to use it for illicit purposes!

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 17:56:19 »

Get citric acid from your local chemist- note from other threads- Boots will not supply it because they think you're going to use it for illicit purposes!

ummm! what may that be then? :-\
Life is to short !!!

killerflies

• Half Acre
    • Killerflies CDC and IRISH flies
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 09:02:08 »
I think maybe using the zest as in Sophie Grigson's recipe also adds more of a tang than just slicing the lemons.

Try Orange Zest along with the Lemon Zest. It takes a small bit of experimentation but you will easily find out how much to put in in order to get a slight Orange hint in the taste.

As fr storage, Ive "frozen" mine in plastic soup containers. It doesnt exactly freze due to the amount of sugar but it wont slosh out on you either. Its a sorbet consistancy.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal