Author Topic: Another new plot holder joins the fold!  (Read 3191 times)

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
Another new plot holder joins the fold!
« on: June 04, 2007, 13:08:47 »
Hello everyone,
There seem to be a few similar posts from new plot holders - I think the councils must all work to similar timelines!
After being told a variety of different list positions, I had almost given up on this season.  I went from 15th, to 5th, and then back to 15th on the list again!  My pleasure on Saturday to receive a letter with a site map was therefore great.  The weather was lovely and I took my time to wander the site, check out all of the free plots, and talk to some of the exisiting plot holders.
My shortlist included the 3 larger plots (with the majority only being half plots) and this list was shortened to just 1 when I spoke to a couple who had a plot on the edge of the site.  The site is flanked on one side by a fence, beyond which is a small beach, and then the sea.  I was concerned about wind and flooding, and was told that both can be an issue.  Something I hadnt considered was the fact that the plots on the edge of the site were near enough to the fence for people to throw stones over the fence.  One or two holders had their greenhouses destroyed, and dont bother with them any more.

The plot I selected is in the middle of the site, and is a full sized plot.  I called the council on Saturday and was the first to select the plot - so it looks like im in!

I shant celebrate until I get forms to sign and keys etc,  but I called today to confirm, and all looks good.

I will try and show a pic below, but 'overgrown' would be an apt description!

I think I will hire a strimmer to make the whole thing seem less daunting, and then begin the digging in earnest.  Im assuming a strimmer is ok to use?

In terms of planting this year, im not sure the ground will be ready early enough to plant any crops.  I was thinking of some kind of plant that can be either dug into the ground in autumn to improve the soil, or composted in a pile.  Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Anyway,  just a greeting, and an introduction really.  Sorry for the wordiness - I do tend to go on...

I look forward to getting to know you all over the next few years :)

http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Re: Another new plot holder joins the fold!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 13:21:36 »
Hello and welcome! you've found the best gardening site on the web!
little by little you'll get there, keep us posted............

PS How long has your plot been empty, it seems criminal keeping keen and eager people waiting!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 13:39:15 »
hello, jj, nice to meet you..our committee strim all the empty plots, better than having them seed all over,
we grow phacelia, a green manure that can be cut and dug in or covered over with black plastic, etc, to improve the ground, it doesn't affect the rotation and can be cut within 6 weeks..don't worry about the wordiness, we all suffer from it sometimes  ;D
also, i suggest making a plan on paper and marking out paths once you've strimmed,  so's you won't walk on the soil and compact it where your beds will be   :)

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 14:10:43 »
Thanks for the welcomes!

Biscombe - you asked how long the plot has been empty.  I'm afraid I dont know for this specific plot but I will endeavour to find out when I meet some of my neighbours over the coming weeks!

There were only a handful of available plots, but what saddened me was the fact that there were many many more in a far worse state than mine, but were still being rented by someone.  It's a shame that they continue to pay their rent but do nothing with their plot.  Especially sad when you consider the long list of people waiting.

Hey Manic,  Thanks for the info regarding green manure.  I will look into Phacelia, and will also make an attempt to plan the plot out.  I have mental plans for a shed, coldframe (currently in a friends garden), perhaps a small decked area to sit on, and of course a number of beds and paths.  So much to do!

Ideally the shed would go at the far end of the plot, but that would be the south end, so for shade reasons perhaps the path end would be better?

I think I will buy myself a book to have a read up on rotation and planning the plot.  I know theres a wealth of info on the 'net, but its always nice to have a book that I can take to the lotty with me.
If anyone knows of a particulalry good book I can buy, it would be appreciated.

http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 18:24:31 »
Thats not overgrown, its just well mulched with weeds. What a lovely location. After diggin today it would have been great to have a dip in the sea or even a paddle. Seaweed is good for the ground I do believe. You will soon break the back of that. We have just taken on another plot and the sheer joy of seeing it take shape is amazing but then again I'm a nutter according to my Hubbie. Please keep us all up to date with the pics Jimmy. BTW where exactly are you . It sounds like a great place to have a meet. lol
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 19:54:25 »
Hi Jimmy

There's a plot with plenty of potential.  Once strimmed, you have the makings of a good compo heap - mix with some shredded paper so that it doesn't turn into green gloop.

My advice for this year would be to cover around half of the plot - black plastic or cardboard - whatever you can get your hands on.

Then with the other half, dig beds, say 8'x4' and weed thoroughly then plant - you can still do beans - French & Runner, Carrots , lettuce, beetroot, basil, coriander, rocket, cabbage, brocolli & cauliflower

Better get digging then!!

Next year you can do a 'proper job' and dig the beds and paths, which will prevent weeds spreading.  Some will say NO, but if the job turns out to be bigger than you, consider using a rotavator to break the ground and then dig it over to get out any nasty roots..

Good luck and don't forget to take lots of pics

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 21:51:36 »
Hi Shirlton,  That's certainly a positive way of looking at things - well mulched with weeds!!  :D   I guess they will keep the ground nice and moist for time being though!

The plot is located in a place called Eastney, which sits on the South/East coast of Portsmouth, with its eastern side overlooking Langstone Harbour.  It really does look like a lovely place, and from what i have seen the people are friendly too.  It's also wonderfully quiet compared to the rest of the city.  I really think it's going to be a haven for me after work and during the weekends.

Thanks for the advice SMP,  I think you are right that preparing the whole plot in one go might become a little soul destroying, so I will keep my eyes peeled for something to cover one half with.
I had already thought about having the making of a compost heap, so I had better have a think about where its going to sit.  The main decision I have to make early on is where to put the shed.   It would look best at the Southern end of the plot, but would possibly cast a shadow over some of the plot if it were there, so I might put it at the end nearest to us as we look at the picture above. ie the northern end.

Frustratingly I have yet to get the key and sign the papers, and will be away all next weekend at the Isle of Wight festival.  I think its going to be a couple of weeks before I can spend a full day with the strimmer.

Ah well,  gives me a bit of time to plan things out a bit before realising how unfit I have become!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 22:27:59 »
My advice is to first walk over that plot carefully to see what crops have been left behind then clear a bit and get digging while conditions remain favourable. Plenty of things to sow or plant in June, runner beans, peas on wigwams don't eat up too much land. Tomato plants sweetcorn from seed. Get things in quick to maintain the excitement then continue with the clearance and digging.

Between August and November there are plenty of crops to plant. Never mind about next year, do it now. There is no start or end with gardening and there is always something to put in and something to harvest.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 08:13:46 »
I too would try to get some stuff in somewhere,work on the best bit and even if you only give yourself a small area you will get some crops this year.

I am starting work on the winter side of our lotties and there is lots I can get in for that.

Good Luck. XXX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 15:25:48 »
Thanks Eristic and Jeannine,   I see your point.  Getting something in the ground will give me something to achieve other than a back-ache!

I dont think the realisation of how much work is involved has actually set in yet, but once it does I think I will really feel the advantage of having something to show for my early work.

Im raring to go, but will not start anything until I have signed the forms and got a key.  As harsh as it may sound, I dont have 100% confidence in the admin at the council, and wouldnt be too shocked if it turns out someone else has been given the same plot.

I will make the most of the time reading and planning.  I have a friend who is going to help me with building a shed, bit I think before I start that I should make a start on the clearing.

As many have mentioned - I will try and keep up to date with the photo's (having a fairly high res camera on my phone does help), and will let everyone see how its going!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 16:38:40 »
Hi JJ and welcome to the the asylum, as said above get a few plants or seeds in as you clear a bit of land, good luck and happy digging.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 18:35:35 »
Whats wrong with you Kev. You are giving peeps the impression that we are all bonkers mate. Us lot who live higher up than Enfield are quite Intelligent
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 20:41:43 »
JimmyJames rather than hire a strimmer for a day or so would it be better to buy a battery operated one from B&Q for 20 odd pounds? it would be slower going but you get to keep the strimmer.

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 00:32:32 »
Oh no Shirlton!  I live even further south than Kev - all hope is lost :)

Thanks Mick for the suggestion about the strimmer.  Sounded like an ideal solution, but the cheaper strimmers on the B&Q website seem to all be mains powered.  The cheapest battery one was over £50.  Still may be worthwhile though as like you said - I get to keep the strimmer!
Cheapest hire quote I have seen is about £20 for the day...

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 12:11:31 »
Hello and welcome, bit late I know but I get a bit lost sometimes!!  ;D
We beat the weeds on our plot by covering with whatever we could lay our hands on - not pretty but efffective! Old rug from shed, cardboard from boiler boxes, weed suppressant in Poundland - 1mx7m for quid can't be bad!
Didn't have to strim as no nettles or owt, dug in as green manure anything that had no roots to speak of, couch, marestail, dandelions, bindweed all onto heap for burning! Bindweed does not care about weed suppressant, it grows without light quite happily, does not rot away into soil. It's the cockroach of the plant world.  >:(
As my plot had a frightening amount of couch grass etc rotavated into it I have planted a lot of stuff through weed suppress just so I'm not constantly weeding when there's so much else to do.  ::)
Enjoy IOW festie. I love it there but kids have ensured I don't get to go for a good few years!  8)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal