Author Topic: Calling all Jam and Jelly makers  (Read 1715 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Calling all Jam and Jelly makers
« on: July 04, 2007, 12:51:36 »
To ease my bordem, I am making tutti fruitti jelly for my daughter.  The mixture of fruit has been cooked and is now slowely working it's way though my jelly bag.  My question is, can I use less sugar and still achieve a good set and maintain storage time?  I usually use 1Ib sugar to every pint of juice.

Thanks kindly.  ;D

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
Re: Calling all Jam and Jelly makers
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 17:48:10 »
Hello

I know it said it in one of my post's have a look on the certo website

http://www.certo.co.uk/Recipes_Framed.htm

Certo is available in most supermarkets and it cut's down on the boiling time and set's everytime i have never had any problems

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 00:33:10 »
I do the sugar by weight to the liquid, but it probably works out about the same as yours EJ. I use between 76 and 80% by weight, so if the liquid weighs 1000g then the sugar used would be 760 to 800g. I think your way works out to 80% so maybe you could cut it down a little but don't think you should cut down much more unless you have a refractometer, and can measure the sugar content in the fruit juice accurately.
I don't use Certo or any other commercial pectin additive, don't see the point as if the pectin is present, and released,  the jelly will set anyway. And it's SO expensive !!!  I've read elsewhere on here that things have a "boiled" flavour unless you use pectin, afraid I've got to disagree with that one, none of my jams and jellies taste "boiled" and nor will anyones if the fruit is cooked correctly first and the jelly or jam isn't overcooked afterwards.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 11:33:53 »
Nope, I'm another one who steers well clear of using commercial pectin.  It is very rare for something not to set and it tends to be my own fault, not having quite enough time to let the mix reach setting point on my thermometer.  Jellies like medlar and pear can be buggers, but the addition of a little lemon or a cooking apple does the trick for me every time.  I have never noticed the boiled taste that has been referred to.  Even my marmalade is so orangy it can almost be too orangy.  I now try not to add any water to the fruit and cook it slowely to extract maximum juice and flavour long before straining and adding sugar.  This way there is not water to evaporate off and setting point is reached very quickly.  I made strawberry jam yesterday and it had reached set after just 10 minutes of boiling.

Thanks for that Jen, I will keep the measurements as I always have.  Been to the allotment this morning and gathered more rhubarb, so making about 6 Ib rhubarb chuts now.  yum!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal