Author Topic: Merry tiller equipment and fuel  (Read 4336 times)

Markonee1

Merry tiller equipment and fuel
« on: June 05, 2007, 16:21:39 »
Just bought a MT it dates from late 50's to early '60's  It has the old round skid post.  It starts on first pull and runs well. It has the old round oil filled air filter.
1) Was there  a potato ridger for this model?
2) The previous owner emailed me and said it runs on leaded fuel.  Briggs and Stratton site says all engines run on unleaded. (They may be referring to all their newer engines.) Anyone have the correct answer?

Thanks for the help.
Mark

gruesome

• Quarter Acre
Re: Merry tiller equipment and fuel
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 17:46:36 »
back in the good old days when leaded petrol was available maybe so? but now it should run perfectly well on unleaded. As for the other question i'm afraid i dont know regards Gruesome.
Insanity takes it's toll....................please have the correct change.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 20:49:04 »
Phone MT and ask them.  I have found their team to be really helpful and you can speak to a real live mechanic is the office staff don't know the answer.

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 14:56:53 »
Check out the Briggs and Stratton website (sorry, can't remember the address).

There is a section thaat tells you how to read your engine number and what it all means. That also tells you which manual you need and most of the manuals are available on-line.

We've just got a non-working 1978 Norlett Rotovator that has a 3hp Briggs and Stratton engine. Details from B&S have been easy peasy to get. On the other hand, trying to get anything out of Norlett is nigh on impossible (unless you are fluent in Norwegian).

As an aside, does anybody have a user manual for a Norlett Extra 5000 rotovator?
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 15:44:34 »

As an aside, does anybody have a user manual for a Norlett Extra 5000 rotovator?

Try ebay, I've had a manual delivered on cd for a Howard Gem, the guy seemed to have more.

Hang on, I'll take a look see.

No, nothing obvious I'm afraid.  :(
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 15:47:13 by RobinOfTheHood »
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 17:32:56 »
Thanks, Robin but there is already a request on ebay that has been there for 3-4 weeks without any response.

I've started learning Norwegian in order that I can shout at Norlett in their own language!  ;D
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

Markonee1

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 03:08:17 »
Thanks for all the responses.  I couldn't find anything on the merry tiller site beyond a guide on history.
I swear the frame is labeled type 'B'  rather than c or d !
Briggs and Stratton site hasn't responded to an email. Found a problem with the type no.s (Forgotten what it  was ...duh)
Bid on a wolseley repair manual only to find seller cancelled the sale (rotter)

Ploughed my first 2 rows yesterday.   Sure does fluff the soil up ;D

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 23:33:58 »
Hi Markonee1,
I restore Mt's. I alway's use LR fuel whatever the engine age (ensures valve lube). Parts are readily available for all B&S engines.
Any probs. contact me. I have a round post potatoe ridger!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal