Author Topic: weeds  (Read 788 times)

debster

• Hectare
weeds
« on: June 04, 2007, 17:00:24 »
are veg garden has exploded with little tiny weeds in between my carrots and onions as these are really small im too scared to go in and weed in case i pull them out by mistake will this hurt them at all, wanted to wait a little longer until i could clearly differentiate

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: weeds
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 17:34:34 »
Run you hoe between the rows this will take care of the thick of them. Then when your crop is bigger and you can differentiate, then hand weed!

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 20:19:37 »
thanks

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 05:13:26 »
My carrots and onions (leeks, chard and spinach) are so small that I am needing to handweed. No chance of getting a hoe in as I will destroy the crop as well!
I started weeding last saturday after being away for a week, I went back on Mon and the weeds that I had left were bigger - and much much easier to pull up, it really made a difference. So if you can wait for them to be about an inch tall, then tehy are easier to hand weed, and the whole plant seems to come up, not just pull the top off! I have the weeds with teh little blue flowers, can't remember what its called now! Although also have some nasties that I am trying to remove (bindweed, a dandelion/thistle (mum calls cow thistle), housetails) all the time and will not let get any bigger!
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal