Author Topic: Batty  (Read 1310 times)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Batty
« on: June 04, 2007, 00:03:08 »
This evening I had a nice bonfire and after banking the ashes up with soil to make things safe yet still keep the heat in to cook a tree stump I sat out in the twilight drinking the last of my coffee in a mesmerized state watching the plume of smoke wafting out of the volcano.

While sitting there I saw quite a large number of bats flying into the plot. They must have come from their roost and were flying down the small alley between the houses then banking up over the perimeter fence. They were only visible briefly as they were silhouetted against the sky but they arrived in ones or twos every couple of minutes for a good half hour or more. Unfortunately the gloom is too intense inside the plot so I was unable to see if they were hunting there or passing through to the nature reserve beyond.

They were most likely pipistrelles but I'm no expert. Nice to see them all the same.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: Batty
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 00:13:48 »
Yes I like seeing the bats around as well.  Usually have a couple here swooping in on an evening.  Our Niece has them in her attic so maybe they come from her house.   Isn't it peaceful last thing at night outside,  I like to just listen to the peace and quiet round about dusk.    ;) ;) ;)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Batty
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 10:41:29 »
I like to just listen to the peace and quiet round about dusk

The roar of the 180 bhp turbo-diesel busses, helicopters toing and froing from base etc. ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal