Author Topic: Stupid Strawberry question  (Read 3020 times)

adamhill100

• Half Acre
Stupid Strawberry question
« on: June 04, 2004, 10:39:03 »
Sorry but I have to ask!  My strawberries are starting to turn nicely red... Would you advise I leave on the plant another few days after red to make double sure they are nicely ripe or is red the go-ahead to pick?

This is the first time for me for strawberries hence the silly question.

Cheers
Adam

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Stupid Strawberry question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 10:56:43 »
Some folk like them a little 'acidy' & 'crunchy' - in which case take them when there's still a bit of white. Otherwise they will continue to sweeten. But don't let them go black/red.

Opinion only! = Tim

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 11:44:34 »
Just remember Adam that loads of other beasties are sitting out there waiting for them to ripen too.  I would get in there before they do. :D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 12:24:10 »
I like my strawbs firm, but sweet  ::) so would wait another day or 2, but as Mimi says, the slugs and birds know the minute they are at their peak and will dive in and eat them before you get the cream whipped!  :o

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 13:02:02 »
Thanks for the replies! I just did not want to spoil the 2 large ones I have been watching for weeks by picking too soon.. I think I may treat myself and the misses tonight!  One each...  :P

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 14:11:25 »
Do it! I left my first one until there were a few more, and it rotted :'(

I always understood that they are ripe if you can pull the stalk from the berry and it comes away complete with the conical core -in practice I'm more likely to go 'cor -a red strawberry' and scrump it ;D

Jeremy.

abstract gardener

• Not So New ...
  • mandess
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 23:13:35 »
last year i grew mine in baskets with nets over, i like to leave mine for a while and they were fine last.

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 15:28:40 »
Should strawberries have flowers by now?   I've got six plants in my backyard  but no flowers on any.

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 10:21:37 »
CC I'd say yes, my outdoor ones have had flowers for a while now -even the ones in the garden centres seem to have them. On the other hand you're N. of us and I suupose your strawbs are new this year -when did you buy them them?

Jeremy

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 10:26:00 »
CC - very young plants don't flower. My mum sowed some seeds last year - I now have some of the plants and they haven't flowered.

Also if they were not cold enough over the winter (ie - if kept in a greenhouse) they don't flower.
gone to pot :D

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 16:29:21 »
I bought the plants at easter from my local garden centre ( a well known national chain) so I expected them to do well.  

I think their label said some like "wild" as their name but had a very pretty picture of strawberries on it so I just assumed they would produce fruit.   As to how old they are, I haven't got a clue.

By way of condolences though, If mine don't fruit this year I can depend on Dad to get a good healthy crop.   I'm sure he won't mind sharing ;)
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 17:15:52 »
I have Strawberries which i keep in the Greenhouse and they do flower and fruit very well .I use them as an early crop.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal