Author Topic: radish problems  (Read 1648 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
radish problems
« on: June 04, 2004, 10:15:08 »
I don't know if I should admit this, but my first attempt at radishes has been a bit, well, rubbish.  :-[

We had the final ones yesterday and they were very small, had bolted and were getting a bit woody. Nice flavour, but not so good on the texture.

They were grown in a large pot (due to the number of slugs I have and heavy, stony soil), with general purpose compost in. Kept moist.

What did I do wrong?
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:radish problems
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 12:23:03 »
That is curious Aqui.  Mine grew to the size of tennis balls and yet were yummy and crunchy and jiucy all the way through - just hoping second sowing will be ready to start harvesting next week.

Mine were nibbled by slugs, but they only seemed to skim the outer surface, and that was it. To be honest, you couldn't tell unless you looked real hard, or caught one in action.  My glorious Essex soil is also like a cobbled road, but only one was mishapen, looked like a peach, due to it growing around a stone.  I think water and speed of growth are the key factors with radish.  Get 'em sowed, watered, germinated, watered, thinned, watered, picked all as quickly as possible!  

Did you sow a second and third batch so you can keep picking?

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:radish problems
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 12:40:29 »
I probably left thinning a bit too long. I'm not very good at that - don't like throwing away good plants. I left it until they were of an eatable size.

I sowed a second batch which are still in quite small seedling stage - I was a little long with my successive sowings. I hope these grow better. I will thin them tonight! If I find room, I'll try some in the ground, but last year they all vanished overnight due to something slimey making them dinner.
gone to pot :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal