Author Topic: ey up!  (Read 2369 times)

JoJoBean

• Not So New ...
ey up!
« on: June 02, 2007, 22:39:40 »
Hello there, I'm a newby  ;D

My names Jodie, I'm 23 and I live in a small village called Burley In Wharfedale, next door to Ilkley, Alan Titchmarsh land  :)

I have always been interested in gardening and wildlife but having lived in a flat for the past 2 years I have had no chance to do anything as I have no garden  :(

I have an illness and have been advised by the doctor to increase my exercise, I want to do something I'll enjoy and after thinking for weeks I couldn't come up with anything, then while walking my dogs around the village we found the local allotments, woo hoo, now I know what I want to do, I NEED an allotment lol

I have my name down on the council waiting list though the lady said it's bout a 5 year wait  :(

I also have my name down on the private allotment list, that has just 6 people on but is also going to be a long wait. The annoying thing about this place is that there are at least 4 allotments that are completely overgrown with brambles and nettles. I have asked about these and apparently the owners just don't want to rent them out, what a waste  :(

I really really want an allotment, I need a garden lol

I recently started recycling too, never knew it could be so fun, I get a bit carried away with it lol

anyway that's me  ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: ey up!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 01:01:56 »
Hello Jo-Jo, welcome to a great number of great people. I know Burley-in-Wharfedale, used to work in Ilkley actually....and guess what, I got drunk with Alan...just once!
Looking forward to visiting family up on the hill at Addingham Moorside next month. I'll have some spare time so if you want a hand, give me a shout.
Any queries you have, ask away on here, we're quite a friendly lot.....well, apart from....erm...what's his name again...?

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 01:23:28 »
another yorkshireite  ;D welcome. we have just got our allotment after a year and half wait here in Bradford. Our council check up on the allotments at rent time and if any are not actively being used they boot 'em off if the site has a waiting list (so we were told)...

Am sure you fall under the Bradford stable? What site is it you are on the list for? Give the council some hassle if the plots are not in use.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 01:27:38 by Spooky_uk »

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 09:03:20 »
Hello & welcome JoJoBean  ;D

This is our first year with an allotment so it's a huge learning curve, but proving to be super fun so far  :D

Sorry to hear you've got a long wait for a plot nearby, as said before do hassle the council (regularly  ;) ) if there's a waiting list & plots are being neglected - It's part of our agreement that we keep the plots in good condition - it may be the same where you are.

Anyhooo, keep asking the questions (I do  :-X ) there's usually someone around who knows the answer.  Take care & have fun x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 09:16:41 »
might be worth a walk around the council ones to see if any look to be abandoned and then send photos to the council - there is a waiting list at our site, but it seems that 20% of the plots on our site are not being used / worked - a group of local allotmenters are trying their best to get people onto these plots.

It is definitely worth making contact with the person who is responsible for the allotments and then keeping in regular touch with them. 

Spookyville

• Acre
    • downtheplot
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 09:33:35 »
if you have not got the contact details (and it is Bradford) I can PM them to you..

JoJoBean

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 09:43:48 »
Hi, thanks for the welcome.

I have my name down for the Burley in Wharfedale council allotments, I have walked around them a few times and they all seem to be in use.

It is the private ones that are being left unused, I have been asking and asking about them though lol

Spookyville

• Acre
    • downtheplot
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 14:37:31 »
sounds like the private ones need a kick up the proverbial.  ;D

http://www.bradford.gov.uk/environment/land_and_premises/asset_management/allotments/sites/ilkley/

any of them ?

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 15:18:42 »
Hi JoJo and welcome to the madhouse, :P  look luck with the waiting list, as the others have said keep hassling and making a pest of your self, you never know what might turn up and get well soon.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 17:11:01 »
hiya, jojo..nice to meet you, hope you get a plot soon.. :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 17:46:18 »
Hi, Jojo, welcome to the site. We used to live in Guiseley, but moved 20 yrs ago, only as far as Tadcaster, though. Hope you get a plot soon.

JoJoBean

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 12:33:19 »
sounds like the private ones need a kick up the proverbial.  ;D

http://www.bradford.gov.uk/environment/land_and_premises/asset_management/allotments/sites/ilkley/

any of them ?

I have my name down on the Burley ones but you have to live in Ilkley to go on the Ilkley waiting list  :(
I think I'll see about Addingham, it's not too far away, I think they will be the same as Ilkley though.

I e-mailed the secretary of the Allotment Association about the unused private plots and she said

"Regarding the vacant allotment plots, owners are reluctant to put in tenants because they feel they may be difficult to remove should an offer be made by a developer to buy the allotment site. I have explained that this would not be a problem and that a contract could be made with the tenant but they refuse and these plots have been vacant for several years and it is unlikely that they will change their minds but I keep asking."

*Sigh*

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 13:39:17 »
Hi JoJo, missed saying hi first time round so - Hi! How awful these people are. How could they let good land just sit there when there are people who would put it good use  just to wait for a developer. Grrr. That said, imagine getting one of those plots, then in your second year having to give it up.
Definately make friends with your local lottie assoc. It may help if they have a shop or whatever if you volunteer a morning a week or something just to get in and keep in and show you're serious!
do keep on at the council and I hope you get your plot soon. X
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal