Author Topic: 2nd hand green house  (Read 1265 times)

debster

• Hectare
2nd hand green house
« on: May 29, 2007, 17:06:48 »
Im sorry i seem to be constantly asking questions but heres another one, i am considering buying a very reasonable  2nd hand green house but i would have to dismantle it and move it then re erect it myself there are no instructions i am a pretty practically minded person but just wondered how difficult it would be and whether the means justifies the end thank you again

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: 2nd hand green house
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 17:19:28 »
Well, if you're practical you should be able to manage it. I did it and I'm not remotely practical! (To be fair, there were instructions, but they appeared to be translated from the Icelandic!)

But don't try to do it on your own. (You need several of you to actually erect it, for a start.) And have a good look at standing greenhouses first, to see how they're put together. And make a note of how you dismantle it. (Number all the parts if necessary and do a few quick sketches: I've only done one greenhouse, but I've had a lot of experience of erecting & dismantling stage scenery, which is fairly similar!) And get a good solid base down so that you can fix it well.

Could be fun - but even if it isn't you won't regret having a greenhouse.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 17:53:52 »
I got a second hand greenhouse, already dismantled into the two sides and two ends, which was quite easy to reassemble as it was all quite obvious. Don't think I would have managed if it was competely in bits though.

MattD

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 22:57:59 »
As long as you take part in the dismantling you should be able to work out how to put it together again.

Usually it's fairly obvious where each piece goes by its length, and usually all the ones of the same length are interchangeable.  Take a few photos or draw diagrams, label one of each piece for reference, and have a good look at how the corners are put together and you should be fine when it comes to putting it up again.

I put together an 8x10 one on my own this weekend.  Took about 4 hours in total over a couple of days with a low point somewhere in the middle when I thought I'd need help..  It was a great Amish barn raising afternoon in the wet.  Felt good though.

Good luck

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 00:23:06 »
Don't forget to wrap the glass carefully to avoid breakages.  :)

Take an electric screwdriver with a socket for undoing the nuts,
otherwise it will take ages.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 07:15:27 »
Take care with the base... I moved a 6x8' but it settled and broke a couple of panes!
 :-[

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 20:49:13 »
I have just finished re-glazing mine - if you need spare bits, Homebase and Focus sell 'z' clips (for glazing) and Wilkinsons sell 'w' clips.  We had to buy a 'maintenance pack' from B&Q for the screws & nuts - complete rip off at nearly £4 and only a few inside.

Don't forget good gloves - as I got more confident I got lazy about putting gloves back on and have sliced one of my fingers.

You'll also need spanners to remove the nuts.  It took us a day to dismantle, move and reassemble the frame, a couple of days to make a base and a good day's work to glaze.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 21:28:39 »
thank you all OH is not over keen on the idea but we will see have contacted the owner but he has not replied as yet so may have missed out on this one but if its not meant to be then its not meant to be will keep looking ta

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 12:44:56 »
Might I suggest that you buy some masking tape, apply a bit to each constituent part and write a unique number on it.  Before dissassembling put the numbers on a plan and then you'll know where each bit came from and which way up it went.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal