Author Topic: new allotment revisited  (Read 790 times)

jemmachan

• Not So New ...
new allotment revisited
« on: May 29, 2007, 15:15:05 »
Hello again! I went back to see the allotment today and signed the paperwork. Crikey, it feels like the weeds have doubled since I was last there! I found a massive patch of couch grass, which I was able to identify as such since my chats with you guys this week. The forecast is rain all week so I don't know when I'll be able to get started. >:(

Have bought a great book. Am slightly intimidated by the weeding ahead of me, but looking forward to getting going. I saw some rhubarb plants and some tomato plants at a garden centre, so thought I might begin there! Just want the rain to stop now!! (Any ideas about how to influence the weather greatly appreciated ;D. What is the opposite of a rain dance?)

Rohaise

Re: new allotment revisited
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 15:50:13 »
 No no !  Rain is GOOD Jem! Makes the ground soft n,easy to pull those weeds!    ;) Rohaise

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 15:58:26 »
The weeds only grow when your back is turned.  If it rains they grow faster and multiply. >:(  If you turn your back and it rains they become rampant.  :o  If the sun shines after the rain they become even more rampant, especially if your back is turned. Little and often to keep on top of it  :)  That's after you've cleared the site, of course ::) ::) ::)
The Tuscan Beaneater

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 16:37:34 »
hiya, jemma..get some paths marked out and covered, that way, the soil doesn't become compacted by walking on it, mark out your beds and work on one at a time..if you're not planting straight away, cover or grow a green manure, that way, you're feeding the soil instead of growing weeds   :)
also, don't panic, it doesn't have to be done all at once, we're all in it for the long haul  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 19:26:05 »
Can't agree more about the couch... just strimmed the uncultivated bits!!!!
 ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal