Author Topic: Why's and why nots about Parsnip varieties  (Read 8171 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Why's and why nots about Parsnip varieties
« on: May 27, 2007, 13:13:00 »
Can anyone fill me in about the good/bad points about parsnips please. The only names I know are

Gladiator
Hollow Crown
Javelin
Tender and True
Dagger

I am sure there are more and would like to know why people pick one over the other.

Thank you Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Why's and why nots about Parsnip varieties
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 13:28:44 »
you ask easy questions don`t you(not) ;D

Some F1 varieties are said to be more resistant to canker-the brown discolouration around the top. Others are said to be `sweeter`-parsnips can taste quite strong. Personally I like my snips with a bit of taste same as I like my sprouts

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 13:29:14 »
I grow White Gem because my soil cannot cope with anything too long and they are stumpier.  They taste good and have a great texture too so that helps.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 13:32:57 »
Cleo, got to keep you on your toes!!!

Stumpy ones sound good , I will remember White Gem ,Thank you RC

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 13:39:44 »
I've generally stuck with Hollow Crown (which my father grew) and Tender & True. Have also grown The Student a couple of times, but germination was very poor so I haven't bothered since.

Last year I grew Countess and was quite impressed. (Except as I couldn't get to the plot enough - we had builders in, adding an extension! - I didn't thin them properly. But they were fairly long & straight and tasty as well. Am growing them again this year, except they are being very slow at the moment.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 13:43:33 »
I sowed a row of Tender and True this year, with seed from one of the swaps. Only two germinated ??? so I can't help. Had great germination from 2 rows of White Gem sown at the same time, biut this is the first time i've grown them so can't say anything about them either

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 13:47:39 »
We've chosen tender & true for our first attempt at snips, cos it's an older variety and is supposed to have a good flavour - i likes my parsnips to taste nice  ;)  Not that any of the seed has made it into the ground yet... ::)
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

veggie lover

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 18:19:43 »
I have sown gladiator and had a good germination rate ;D! ddon't know what they taste like though ???
If all fails then try again...

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 08:29:55 »
I'm growing Avonresister this year. I sowed very old seeds bought in 2002 and had around 70% germination!

According to catalogues and websites, Avonresister is supposed to be by far the most canker resistent variety. It's a shorter-rooted variety as well, making it suitable for heavy soil!  :)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 09:17:39 »
 Hi all,
            I have sown avonresister too, but I have had only 25% (approx ) that have germinated. This is after they were pre chitted on damp kitchen paper as previously suggested in an old thread. Maybe the ground was too dry in April? I  sowed some more last week, lets hope this rain helps  :D In the past I have always sowed a variety from Dobies that came pre chitted (heat treated some how) These were brilliant 100% germination every time, so guess what , Dobies have stopped selling them.  >:(
                                 Adrian.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 09:52:07 »
Parsnips were only improved from wild roots in Victorian times Jeannine... The Student was the first... then there was a spurt of varieties like hollow crown and tender and true... the F1's have only been around for about 5 years and are generally smaller like bayonette for supermarket packaging...
 ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 10:11:31 »
According to catalogues and websites, Avonresister is supposed to be by far the most canker resistant variety.
I agree with Tora. As this my first attempt at parsnips, I chose Avon Resister for reasons listed and also because they are a short early maturing variety growing up to about 5". I chose Tender & True because they are a longer variety & mature later into the winter. Hopefully to spread my harvest.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 11:10:33 »
Parsnips love em or hate em. I love them on my dinner plate but hate trying to germinate them. As for what types i grow i don,t really care apart from my show parsnips then i use Gladiator and Tender and true which i grew to 43" last year.
For eating i take every old packet of seed i have left mix them all together and plant them. I am afraid my taste buds are not good enough to tell the difference in the flavor. This year i seem to have got good germination.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/stumpinsci/Picture068.jpg
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 12:57:39 »
I grew Hollow Crown last year and was very pleased with the results - massive snips that tasted great, I admit they were not very pretty (some were d**n ugly if truth be known).  Wierd thing about germination - I know you are supposed to get new seed every year but this is my 3rd year with the same seeds I have had no problems - maybe hollow crown seeds live longer?

This is the first one I grew, 2005

These are the 2006 efforts

This year we are growing Gladiator, White Gem and more Hollow Crown - all have germinated and the Gladiator are the biggest so far ....

Helen 

Beanzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 19:18:44 »
I tried a variety called Archer last year. Decent size, but a bit of canker.

David R

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 20:55:40 »
have always grown avonresistor and can thoroughly recommend it. I left a few to go to seed last year and the plot was covered in thousands of parsnip seedlings by autumn - i had to remove them but wonder what they would have turned into had i left them to grow through the winter

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 07:40:54 »
White Gem, Gladiator, Tender & True and Albion.

In general, looking for a canker-resistant variety .. but have not found one yet (despite what some of the marketing blurp may say).

Another plot holder avoids canker by sowing at the beginning of the year for late summer use .. but we want them over the winter.

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 09:19:55 »
Last year I grew Tender & True (from realseeds.co.uk) next to Gladiator (which I think was an F1 variety from b&Q). Tender & True produced some very oddly shaped 'snips but seemd to resist the brown rot thing at the tops a little more than Gladiator. They all tasted nice however!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 09:58:07 »
Does anyone grow a variety called a Guernesey demi-long? That was the only one I could get in France. The first lot didn't work, only two seedling! But my second attempt seems to have germinated more successfully.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 14:42:25 »
trying for the first time: Gladiator F1, Tender and True, Hollow Crown.
unfortunately, due to a labelling mishap, I've got no idea which are which ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal