Author Topic: Outdoor Cucumbers  (Read 3119 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Outdoor Cucumbers
« on: June 02, 2004, 15:03:55 »
I have 2 Marketmore cucumber plants that I want to grow outdoors at the allotment.  Now do I have to grow up a support, or will they do as well as a trailer along the ground????  If they can grow along the ground, how do I protect the little cuckies from sitting in the soil... little cushions  ;) or straw.... any ideas???
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
Re:Outdoor Cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 15:23:09 »
They will trail or can be trained up frames.

There is nothing wrong with their being on the ground, unless the summer is very very wet

Phil

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 20:44:04 »
I've been given two cucumber plants from a lottie neighbour - he brings the seeds back from his hols abroad every year.  He assures me they will grow outside very well - they'll need to as the g'house is all tomatoes!  I can but try as I've never grown cus outside before.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 20:53:11 »
Thanks for that Phil.  :D I just thought that as they were a bit tender they would rot if in contact with the ground.  

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 22:12:26 »
growing mine upwards Mimi! Marketmore as well! Last year grew them sprawling, and missed loads of fruit  :'(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 22:42:37 »
Think I might do that too Doris.  Not for missing the fruit though but thinking what else I could grow in all that space :D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 23:01:24 »
Exactly Mimi! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 07:33:34 »
Other thing to note - trailing on the ground they are more bent and misshapen.  Grown upwards the simple thing of hanging and their own weight does make them a little straighter.

I grew marketmore last year, had plenty, my only complaints were they are very prickly!! lol and they seemed to 'go' quick - ie you have to pick em quickly at the right time or they go bitter and start yellowing.  Other than that a good cucumber.

This year am trying a burpless variety ;)

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 10:56:55 »
Just to save people unneccessary work- cultivars such as Marketmore do not need to have their male flowers removed. I have grown Marketmore for twenty years outdoors and have yet to deliberately pick a male flower off. It is only the gynoceious varieties, commonly sold for growing in the greenhouse, which produce bitter fruit when pollinated.

abstract gardener

• Not So New ...
  • mandess
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 23:11:09 »
iv,e yet to see my new allotment but i am assured i have one, well its a shared, but i will be deffinatly growing in the ground, i have grand plans for tomatoes too

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 08:40:45 »
Thanks for that John.  Saved me a bit of time. ;)

dannylewis

• Quarter Acre
    • My allotment
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 10:13:12 »
hi mimi,  you can grow your cucumbers as a trailing type on the ground, but what i found worked best was to stake the cucumbers of the ground, maybe with a twig or something just to stop anything happening to them, also to stop getting bad results.

by the way those capegooseberries are growing really well, about 2 inches tall now.

dannylewis
;D ;D ;D
www.freewebs.com/lottieplot:- My website, obviously

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 09:31:45 »
John,

So this week's word is "gynoceious" !!!

As Pooh once said "There has been a great increase in the number of things I know nothing about"

Phil

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 14:55:34 »
horribly worried about the male and female flower thing as I have not been doing any pinching. My cukes are 'Long Green Maraicher' from the Organic Gardening catalogue - supposedly OK for growing outside but mine are in a home-made poly-tunnel (whole other story!). Anyone know if I should pinch or not. Also, mine are about 5 feet tall now with only 18inches or so till the roof - do I stop them or let them carry on along the 'ribs' of the tunnel? Advice please, please. cheers, suzy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal