Author Topic: elder  (Read 794 times)

Holly

elder
« on: May 26, 2007, 10:29:27 »
ive heard theres a species of elder with white or pale berries, rather than the usual dark ones. does anyone know anything about these? are these white berries edible too?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: elder
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 17:22:08 »
It sounds like you are talking about Sambucus Gaudichaudiana.
This is an Australian member of the elderberry genus, which grows as understory in dense forests. Unlike its northern hemisphere cousins this is not a large woody shrub. It more of a perennial plant, as its stems mostly die back to a perennial rootstock each autumn and fresh stems arise the following spring. The flowers are a little unusual, as the four white petals never spread widely, but remained curled inwards, so that the flowers look like white berries. The fruit ripens to a pale yellow translucent berry, which is edible. It is only likely to be hardy outdoors in the mildest areas of the UK.

Holly

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 20:13:15 »
thank you Baccyman!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 20:20:30 »
There is a white berried variety that appears identical to the normal tree apart from the different berry colour. I found one growing by a disused railway cutting many years ago and tried to take cuttings as I had visions of a superior wine, but alas the cuttings failed to strike. If I remember, I will try to re-visit the site later in the year when the berries are ripening in case the tree is still there.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal