Author Topic: Squash up a frame  (Read 1214 times)

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
Squash up a frame
« on: May 23, 2007, 20:52:01 »
Hi,could any one tell me if any of these winter squash,(avalon,cornells bush delicata,bon bon f1,ponca) have small enough fruit to make them suitable for growing up some sort of frame work.I want the plant to be able to support the fruit without the risk of the weight damaging the plant.Thank you  :)

HappyCatz

• Quarter Acre
  • Cornwall
Re: Squash up a frame
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 09:59:52 »
not really an expert here but I have a feeling that the ponca is a bush type butternut and so would not be suitable for growing up a frame.  last year i grew red kuri up a wigwam and this year am having a go at pink banana.  I thought that any of the vining varieties can go up a frame depending on the size of the fruit,  am aware will probably need to support the pink bananas! :)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 13:05:50 »
I have been growing squash up frames for years, big ones, small ones, they are odd creatures in that I have noticed the fruit has never needed supporting, mine have always seemed to thicken their stem to take the weight! (Maybe I have just been lucky, as I never seem to have time to think about doing it for them before they are ready!)
bon bon is a buttercup type, and I have sucessfully grown them upwards, looked weird huge fruits just hanging there!
Obviously I wouldn't and haven't tried pumpkins bit toooooo  heavy methinks! ;D
Advice on the others I am sure will be along soon!
DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 16:12:15 »
Have grown veg spaghetti up a bean frame...
 :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 19:00:24 »
Your Bon Bon will, ,be prepared to support fruit which will grow up to 5 pounds on 10 foot vines,and I can confirm that Doris is very right, the plant definitely will grow a more sturdy frame upright than on the ground.

Ponca is a bush, a baby butternut by the way, so will not  grow on a trellis.

The type of Delicata you have also will not as it is a bush too.

Avalon is a bigger than average Butternut but comes on a compact plant,as it is a T&M exclusive it is difficult to get much info as they are not good at describing plant habits very well. Compact usually means bush, but it may mean shorter vines, I would e mail T&M to be sure.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 07:17:06 »
Fantastic replies,thanks,..Would this mean that the bush varieties,ponca and delicata need less spacing than the trailing types,I was going to do 4ft spacing for all,any ideas? :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 07:52:55 »
I think the 4 foot will be OK, ideally squash should have more but few of us have the space,I wouldn't give them any less. Good Luck XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal