Author Topic: mole  (Read 1580 times)

dawn34

• Quarter Acre
mole
« on: May 07, 2007, 18:22:04 »
we have got a mole on our plot mole holes everywhere it's now turned up some of our veg, how do i get rid

mikedhart

• Not So New ...
Re: mole
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 12:27:17 »
have had the same problem!

five options:

get an ultrasonic repeller (not sure these work)

set a humane trap in the run and move it away from location - issue: some moles are too big for the trap available.

observe the run pattern - and look for a new path. Note what time the molehill appears, flatten it, pushing the soil down the hole. Be there at the same time the next day, when you see the soil being pushed up push a spade in behind it and dig it out with a trowel. (they can bite) then take it away.

put worms covered in rat poison down the run

get a trap and place it in the run path

Have heard of mothballs - not sure on this

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 15:15:51 »
Had one on my lottie a few years back - tried everything and then got so frustrated that I jabbed the hose into one of the tunnels and let it run for 15 mins or so - watered the plants and never saw the mole again - guess they don't swim then!
Always look on the bright side of life

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 21:57:22 »
I have 2 and regard them as rather irritating pets, or at the very least creatures that were there first. They eat the slugs deeper down and are also fiercely territorial. My pet 2 seem fairly lazy, so I stick with them rather than kill & get more...

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 21:58:14 »
p.s. I also occasionally raid their hills when I want some fine soil...

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 22:09:23 »
Moles seem to be rampaging through our site too. Most people seem to think that as soon as you successfully get rid of one another will take it's place and so they try to ignore them.Hard when it's my carrots and beans that have suffered though. >:(
Smile, it confuses people.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 07:43:06 »
They seem to be fussy about soil conditions; there have been moles in exactly the same area of one of the parks in Oxford for at least 50 years, and never anywhere else. They're also, as has been said, very territorial. The young leave the mother, and live on the surface briefly until they either find a territory or die. If you get rid of your mole, it's unlikely to be too long before another moves in, if you have a healthy breeding population locally.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal