Author Topic: will foxes eat anything i grow?  (Read 5465 times)

eco-friendly27

• Not So New ...
will foxes eat anything i grow?
« on: May 21, 2007, 13:03:50 »
hi im considering taking on an allotment but when i went to have a look around yesterday i was told that the plot opposite me is inhabited by a pair of foxes. at first i was pleased and thought aww how swe ::)et. now im wondering if they could be more of a pest. ps i have a small toddler does anyone know if foxes could be dangerouse around him?

DadnDom

• Half Acre
Re: will foxes eat anything i grow?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 13:06:40 »
Never known a fox to harm a human or eat crops.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 13:43:27 »
the foxes will deter any rabbits, and they do eat crops!

eco-friendly27

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 13:54:18 »
thanx for your replies to norfolklass. what would you suggest i would need to keep them away?

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 14:01:30 »
to keep rabbits off your plot, a good rabbit-proof boundary fence buried at least 12" below the surface of the soil.
don't know how to keep foxes off a plot. pee around the boundary to mark the territory as yours?!?

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 14:24:50 »
Foxes live on our allotments, they have never eaten anything but sometimes like to dig things up. Foxes are scared of humans and wouldn't attack you or anything. I quite like watching them when I see them.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 16:02:35 »
Foxes just seem to dig up all the plants you want to eat. It was worse on our lottie when the cubs were young and were practising their digging!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 16:09:19 »
Foxes on our lotties seem to like digging potatoes up. Apparently they like the dry soil to dig in so it's best to water potatoes etc. before you go home at night.

And my mate had all her tatties dug up because she put fish blood and bone fertilizer in with them. OOPS!

Fox cubs have had a WHALE of a time rolling on my rhubarb and they've squished it. They didn't eat it though (I hid the sugar!)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 17:38:38 »
Foxes can make a mess when they want to, but they eat a great many pests, and they won't attack anyone; they've walked past me a few times on the plot, and they've been very obviously nervous.

TurkeyTackle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 17:45:47 »
I had a BIG problem with foxes. Solution was a ready source of tiger faeces from the local zoo. I have to say that the problem was solved in an instant!

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 22:01:29 »
A lady living in a house at the top of our site feeds the local foxes, but we haven't seen so many around since the overgrown plots have all been cleared for eager new allotmenteers.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 23:28:47 »
they eat rats !  and sometimes use next doors potato bed as a larder for choice ratties .... mmmmm - not.    Thank goodness they like next door and not me.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 22:55:35 »
We have foxes on our site, and people who feed them but not seen any problems from them. They are wary of humans... especially those who carry sticks that go BANG

Briony57

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 19:40:58 »
Hi, we have lots of families of foxes on our site, they do no harm except maybe to dig small holes looking for worms, they are usually very shy and would certainly not harm children.
Good luck with your plot
Briony57

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 09:11:30 »
We have both foxes and badgers on our site, the foxes aren't too much of a problem, they just seem to  sit and watch us with a bored expression.
 The badgers however have pulled up and eaten all my jerusalem artichokes and love my neighbours broad beans. Can't be too cross with them though as they are beautiful when you catch a rare glimpse of them...
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 21:25:56 »
The stupid things dig holes all over my plot and carry lumps of horse poo all over the place - they're a flipping nuisance! ....and they've dug up my newly [lanted fruit bushes/canes!

Grow yer bugger grow!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal