Author Topic: Citric acid question  (Read 4522 times)

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
Citric acid question
« on: May 17, 2007, 12:29:12 »
As used in homebrewing.  Can anyone tell me the strength?

It's not widely stocked by chemists now, but my friend who works in a lab can give me some.  Trouble is, it needs to be made up to the appropriate strength and we don't have a clue what that is.   ???  Anyone got some and can check the label, please?

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Citric acid question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 16:15:46 »
I've got some, but it's hiding somewhere.  Will keep looking and let you know when/(if) I find it.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 23:51:34 »
The type you get from a homebrew supplier will only tell you that 1 teaspoon is eqivalent to the juice from 1 lemon.
If you are getting it from a chemical supplier you need to make sure it is food grade & meets the following criteria:

Citric Acid Monohydrate

Formula: C6H8O7.H2O
M. W.: 210

Specification:
Appearance: Colourless translucent crystals or white granular particles.
Assay: 99.5-101.0 %
Sulfated Ash: 0.1 % max
Chloride ( PPM ) : 50 max
Sulphate ( PPM ) : 150 max
Oxalate ( PPM ) : 350 max
Iron ( PPM ) : 50 max
Carbonisable Substances: Passed the test standard
Heavy Metals ( PPM ) : 10 max
Calcium ( PPM ) : 200 max
Barium ( PPM ) : Passed the test standard
Moisture: 7.5-9.0 %

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 01:26:52 »
Thanks very much, I'll pass that on to my friend and see what she comes up with.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 19:46:38 »
Glad you got a response, I'm still looking ... ... ... ...
The Tuscan Beaneater

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 21:38:20 »
Greyhound I have a  50 gm box in front of me, it just says citric acid monohydrate E330.Company name is Unichem.Box Reads,may be used for various culinary purposes including jam making,flavouring etc,also in wine making to help prevent cloudiness.The chemist near me sells it,I can get you a box  or two if you want ,let me know  XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 22:17:08 »
Oooh, citric acid is almost a swear word in this household.  When oldest daughter was in Year 7 her science teacher decided they would make sherbert, and sent them all home with an instruction to buy citric acid to take in to their next lesson.

I went to every pharmacy I could think of, and on enquiring if they had any citric acid was told no.  In a couple of them I got rather peculiar looks.

The last two I tried were in the village where I work (I'm based in a health centre).  One gave me a definite NO.  The other one chortled at me, and then let me into the secret.  None of them would sell if over the counter  because it's used for cutting/cooking drugs for injection!  I can't imagine why I'd been getting funny looks though, I always thought I looked quite respectable!   ;) ;D

Luckily the nice lady in this pharmacy believed my story of why I needed it, and ordered me some in.

I still think that teacher knew exactly what he was doing, sending 30 sets of parents out to solicit citric acid at Boots.  I imagine it was that term's best practical joke!  :o  :D
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 00:21:40 »
 ;D

No worries, V is on the case.  I can always bung in an extra lemon if all else fails.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 08:55:21 »
I get my citric acid from Wilko's in their wine making dept. It is 50g (ingredients are citric acid, B2 and E330r), and if i remember rightly costs about a pound.
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 09:30:32 »
Now if I'd only known that 2 years ago - about Wilko's I mean!  :D

It's all part of life's learning experiences, isn't it?  Being suspected of being a junkie in Boots, I mean.  ;)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 17:16:58 »
Denbee, now go and ask the chemist for saltpetre!!!  You will egt more funny looks too!!XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 17:22:26 »
Got some citric acid.  Pharmacy in Boswell's in Oxford.  85p.  Was passing, and thought, aha ....

Just best to stick with the independent chemists for this sort of thing, I reckon.  The big chains are only interested in selling us expensive branded products these days.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal