Author Topic: protecting crops - methods  (Read 1224 times)

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
protecting crops - methods
« on: May 13, 2007, 21:11:18 »
Hi peeps do you use horticultral fleece to protect young crops from winds, and pests etc, us at lottieblogs have used it this year for the first time and has made a major difference to young cropsFleece

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
Re: protecting crops - methods
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 07:19:33 »
I remember last year having a fleece windbreak around the sweetpeas when they were still young and they grew like triffids.

This year all the hanging baskets that I've no room for in the g/h and the whisky barrel are being fleeced overnight.

The prework excursion for slug despatching and fleece removal is getting longer each morning !

I wholeheartedly recommend it.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 10:06:30 »
Hi, almost everything I plant out at this time of year I put under fleece for a couple of weeks. It seems to make a real difference to plants getting established.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 13:20:53 »
parsnips, carrots, early planting of squash and courgettes..we cover the cherry trees if it's chilly when flowering, brilliant stuff !   :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 23:35:08 »
I cover my carrot rows, it stops the soil drying out and capping, so better germination and keeps the fly off as well...
 ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 23:38:39 »
Where can I buy a full roll of the very wide stuff?? XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 06:29:14 »
http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/ ?

I would say DON'T use fleece - except for close cover. Too fragile & too much like a sail. Also can create turbulence.

I always had  6' of Netlon around the whole allotment. A world of difference with the plants.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 07:14:58 »
Used it for most things that have been sown outdoors this year - mangetout, carrot, beetroot, parsnip, sprouts, and borlotti beans. Undoubtedly helped to retain moisture during the dry spell (mid March to end April here). Generally, germination is better.

Also as a protection against frost on cold nights .. so far this year particularly for early asparagus and plum blossom.

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 07:31:00 »
Whats Netlon Tim ??

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 10:17:29 »
Here's my on-a-budget solution to bird protection: fishermen's keepnets!  Simply get the net, cut it in half length ways (inc the hoops) and take the hoop out of the mouth end.  You now have a 12ft+ length of netting with the supports already in place and ready to poke into the ground.  A few tent pegs/bits of stick may be needed for more stability and to close the open end. 

Amazing the uses that you can find for the anciant junk at the back of your shed (gave up fishing about 25yrs ago but never got around to throwing the kit out - I shall report back on fisihing rods for pea/bean poles later ;))

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 10:27:19 »
I've a broken fishing rod I haven't yet thrown away. Thinking of fastening it to the hut and dangling one of those model hawks from it to scare off the pigeons.

Great idea about the keepnet

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 12:28:55 »
keepnet good idea

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal