Author Topic: Help......tomato food  (Read 3001 times)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Help......tomato food
« on: May 29, 2004, 23:53:31 »
I used to be able to buy liquid tomato food but now I can't find it anywhere.
Ruud, can you tell me where I could find it in Holland?

Also, what do all you tomato growers out there use for weekly feeding of tomato plants?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 09:47:22 by ina »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Ruud in Holland, help......tomato food
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 05:56:33 »
Excuse the intrusion, Ina - but why liquid?
Easier to dilute? Has something that the others don't have? Prettier colour?

Seriously, I have no knowledge on the comparative merits & would appreciate any advice on this. For our bags, we always use diluted commercial 'granules' (inorganic, 2.1.4 ) at every watering.  = Tim
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 06:50:21 by tim »

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Re:Ruud in Holland, help......tomato food
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 09:41:41 »
Ah, that was stupid to direct this question only to Ruud, maybe I can still change that.
Thanks for you reply Tim.

Still more questions since it looks like I have to do without the liquid food I'm used to and need to learn a new way.
If I can find the granules with the same NPK as yours, how much do you of it do you dissolve in a 10 liter watering can?

After planting out, I did mix some dried stuff with high K into the soil but that would be much too strong for daily or weekly use and I don't want to burn the roots.

Of course I'd like to be as organic is possible but I also would like some control over the feeding of the tomatoes. I have seen the pictures of your tomatoes last year Tim and I think I would be wise to do it your way.

tim

• Hectare
Re:Help......tomato food
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 11:00:09 »
So trusting, Ina. Don't be fooled by appearances!! And don't do what I do - do what I find that the experts do!!

Taking a rain check on your question. Need help on Dutch suppliers. And advice on benefits & penalties from John - et al. = Tim

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 13:01:17 »
Hi Ina
I use comfrey - I put the chopped leaves on as a mulch (saves all that smelly business making a concentrated liquid!)  I find it works - although I do resort to one or two all purpose liquid feeds a couple of weeks after planting then it is just down to the comfrey.  The HDRA link below might be of interest
AC x

http://www.hdra.org.uk/organicgardening/gh_nftom.htm
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 13:15:12 »
Good thinking, but difficult to mulch a grow bag?

Organic, yes - but I'm not harming the soil with my inorganics.
 And isn't comfrey pretty? = Tim

PS Forgot to check, Ina - you have some toms in bags at home - others in the greenhouse or open? In soil or bags?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 16:12:45 by tim »

jethro

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 14:44:22 »
The only thing i put om my toms is diluted nettles, it seems to work. I water them twice a week with this solution.

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004, 16:42:53 »
Oooh - nice one Jethro!  Hope you are leaving a few for the ladybirds and butterflies!  I don't have any nettles (not bragging - honest, I have plenty of most other things!) - and as y'all know, I think comfrey is cool!   8)

Tim - could you tuck comfrey leaves under the side of the gro-bag and lay wilted ones over the top - they should just break down into  into the compost?  Might be worth an experiment?
AC x
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 16:43:13 by allotment_chick »
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004, 17:04:38 »
Got a couple of plants out on the balcony at home, two outside in cages at the lottie as an experiment and the rest all in the greenhouse, also at the lottie.

Thanks all for your replies. I know a guy who makes manure tea, just a pile of manure in a container, water on top and then pours the tea by the tomato plants every now and then. When I asked how often, the answer was "when I think of it" hahaha.

I just don't want to over feed either. All those years I just simply used the liquid feed on sundays, two 'clugs' in the watering can and voila, never gave it another thought.

Allotment Chick, the tomato article you sent the link of is printing at this very moment. Very, very informative, thank you so much.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 17:11:42 by ina »

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2004, 20:33:59 »
Inside I use Maxicrop- it smells nice,outside I use comfrey liquid-why does it smell so? I mean it is revolting ;)

Stephan
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 20:34:40 by cleo »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2004, 06:09:13 »
Plain, or with added npk, Stephan?

Being a lover of seaweed, I always used to use it. Can't think why I changed. Price possibly. But I still use a seaweed foliar feed to make like I'm at the seaside! =  Tim

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 18:27:23 »
Hi ina,i have searced all of the websites i know about liqued tomato food but i also couldnot find it.I always feed them with tomatofood from asef,but you can also use rosefood.I have good results with rosefood from the aldi.You can also use a feed with a lot of kali also cold potas in dutch.Guana consists a lot of kali.I hope you have enough information now.If there are more questions to ask i will here it,ruud.

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 18:32:48 »
Just the ordinary stuff Tim-as for price I buy 5l a time at wholesale rate so it`s not too dear.

Stephan.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 21:50:05 »
Thank you so much Ruud.

How, how much and how often do you use the rose food from Aldi?

I thought you work it into the ground at planting time, can you also use it during the growing season?

Ps: It's so strange to communicate in English with a fellow Dutchman but it would be rude (no pun intended even tho' this is how you pronounce Ruud's name) to do it in Dutch here.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 21:53:18 by ina »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2004, 06:29:56 »
If it's powder, Ina it won't - I reckon - be helpful during the growing season.
I'm hoping that our John will be offering some help on this today. = Tim

PS See my mail!

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2004, 20:09:01 »
I think I found some! Same stuff I used to use. Sent them a fax today to have some bottles sent, just hope they will.

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2004, 20:19:33 »
Ina,i was at my allotment today and saw that my neighbour was planting some tomatoes outside his allotment.He was feeding them with those slow release food.He had good results with it so mayby that is worth while trying.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2004, 20:23:54 »
Thanks Ruud. If I can't get the bottles I ordered I may look into that.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal