Author Topic: Breeding Goldfish  (Read 4625 times)

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Breeding Goldfish
« on: May 29, 2004, 14:33:03 »
I have a distinct feeling that my goldies are upto something in one of my ponds. ::)  I woke up this morning and when I looked out noticed that the top pond was a hive of activity with most of the goldfish I have in there chasing each other around.  I threw some food in and although most came to the top to feed a few ignored it completely and just carried on.  As such I have a number of questions that probably need answering (and it's not about the birds and the bees!!)

1)  Do goldfish species cross breed i.e. will a normal (orange) goldfish and a comet be compatable?  The reason I ask is that the cheif culprits were of the above types.
2) In light of the activity am I best leaving a small amount of Blanket Weed I have in there for the time being as I am led to believe that this is a good area for laying eggs in?
3) Should the miracle of miracles happen and I do get some fry, am I best taking them out and putting them in a tank?
4) I was always of the notion that Goldfish had to be of a certain size to breed i.e. quite big, Is this true?  The one that looks like it is getting most of the "action" is about 4" long without tail - Would she be mature enough to spawn?
5) How common is it for pond fish to breed?  I was always of the opinion that it would be quite rare. - Am I just being naive?  How many other ppl who come on here have successfully bred fish?
6) Is there anything else specifically I need to do e.g. Feeding etc.

Thanks

Tony (i'm so proud)  :'(

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Re:Breeding Goldfish
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 19:52:40 »
Hi Tony - I'm no expert on these things but am pleased to tell you that my fish have bred at least three or four times.  Not all the babies survive (I leave them in the pond - right or wrong) but those who have are progressing well, although some of them take longer than others to turn into gold fish (they are very dark for quite a while).  I think Margaret is probably the best person to answer your queries in details, but I can understand you getting excited about the prospect of getting some fry - it is a great feeling when you spot your first baby fish - mind you they are difficult to spot as they are soooo tiny.  Good luck and let us know how you get on :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 21:46:30 »
Cheers for the reply Patricia,  How big are your fish (the parents)?

I was hoping Margaret would reply (she's my normal fish agony aunt)  :)  I do happen to have a further update.  Being as immobile as I currently am I've spent most the day in the garden and when I've peered into the pond have noticed one particular Comet constantly pestering one of my larger goldfish.  I'm almost certain that the signs are right for breeding.  This "pestering" seemed to go on for most of the day, she was swimming around freely and would then disappear into the Blanket Weed followed by the Comet.  A few minutes later the rest of the fish would descend on the Blanket Weed (I assume looking for the eggs)

By about 6 o'clock the pestering was still going on and she looked very tired and completely fed up with it all - I was toying with the idea of taking her out and putting her in the bottom section of the pond and away from the "offending" Comet.  However, I've just been out to have a look now and it appears that she has taken matters into her own hands as she has come over the waterfall and away from the Comet.

She's currently happily swimming and eating in the middle section and I'm wondering if it would be best to leave her there for a few days (it's not very deep) 12" max and so it would only be temporary.  Or relocate her back to the top and run the risk of the "frisky" comet or put her in the bottom!! decisions decisions!!

thanks

Tony

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 09:32:03 »
Hi again Tony,

Sounds as if you have got plenty of activity going on in your pond.  My fish have been behaving much the same of late.  It is difficult to tell how large the breeding fish are as they are all different sizes and I dont really know which ones have been breeding.  The smallest are about 4/5inches going up to about 8/9inches.  I tend to just leave them to their own devices and I find it works quite well.  Having said that, I do not have much option as I only have the single pond.  Lucky you having a split level :)   Don't quite know what to say about the one that has changed to the middle section.  I suppose it depends how large it is.  Let's hope Margaret spots this thread soon and can give you some constructive advice.

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 17:59:12 »
Hello Tony and Pat.Agony aunt eh? wow the responsibility!!

Sorry,i have been at work all weekend and we had company last night so only just found your message.You may be excited now Tony.Been there got the teeshirt,seen the DVD etc.You wait till you're 10 years down the line,and you are wishing there was a contraceptive pill for fish like i do.

Anyway far be it from me to put a dampener on things!! i sometimes get a badly damaged female out of this ardent activity,and They are generally too injured to save.Be thankful she got away and leave her as long as you can to have a rest.

Yes,i have found that goldfish of mixed species will interbreed,sometimes at quite a young age,as you have discovered.It is very common for goldfish and rudd,and you will never stop the others from eating the eggs and fry.All you can do is provide plenty of cover and a few will hopefully survive.Perhaps you could put the fry,and the eggs,if you find some,into the middle section,then you can feed them special fry food.I would not be tempted to put them into a tank.I have saved some this way but it is a difficult job,and they often die,usually due to water quality going downhill through overfeeding.

Do keep us posted!!
Margaret

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 11:07:34 »
Thanks for the advice,

Well there are definately eggs, and a lots of them as well!  :)  I was fishing out the last few clumps of Blanket Weed yesterday (that nishikoi stuff has really kicked it's ass!!) and I was just about to throw it in the bin (the bw) when I noticed a tiny clear shaped sphere about the same size as a pin head - On close inspection I noticed the Blanket Weed was covered in these tiny spheres (I assume eggs) - After a brief discussion with the Mrs we decided to put the Blanket Weed back in and let nature run it's course!!

I've also stopped treating the pond for BW - I think another week and there would be none left at all and hence none left inwhich the eggs can be laid!! and I'm also toying with the idea of switching my UV off for a while as well - I read that the fry will eat the algae. Is this a good idea?

I'm off to hospital for another minor op on my leg this afternoon :( so if I've not replied in the next few days it's not because I'm being ignorant.

Thanks again and hopefully next time I'm here we may have good news.

Tony  

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 13:34:36 »
Hi Tony - good news about the eggs :)  Hope you are rewarded with a good batch of fry.  Also good luck with your op today - hope to see you back here very soon.........Pat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal