Author Topic: Ruddy Lost dog killed my chicken!  (Read 2032 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Ruddy Lost dog killed my chicken!
« on: May 01, 2007, 22:35:57 »
Got a call tonight and raced downt he lotty at 8.30pm - lost dog was in with my chickens and had killed and eaten my best silkie hen - partridge banty!

Anyway the guys asked if i wanted it shot and i ummed and ahhhhed - but we took it to police station.  Police were a great help NOT - had to wait over an hour for a someone to take the dog.

So after saving the dogs life and taking it to the police I bet the owners dont even thank me or pay compensation.

No idea how the other chooks are - they were huddled in bed obviously distraught so there could be other injured hens up there still but will know more tomorrow.

What is strange is that the dog was a working dog - spaniel cross, docked tail - clipped looked like a very large springer spaniel - I thought working dogs werent supposed to eat ruddy birds - just fetch them!

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Re: Ruddy Lost dog killed my chicken!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 07:19:09 »
I would at least tell the police that you want compensating for the damages the dog caused. the police will encourage them to pay these and the police will be able to drop any charges and forget the paperwork. However you must think about what cold happen if the dog got loose again.

Fully assess the damage in the morning, your hens may have untold stress and you may find others die very shortly.

BTW im not anti dogs we have 4

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 22:28:15 »
How are your hens today?
I would press charges at the station against the owners of the dog for a replacement hen and damages at least.
Might make them take more care of the dog in future.
 I have two dogs and they dont go over the doorstep unless I am with them and they know it. Its called training.
If it is a working dog the owner might have it put down because it has tasted blood. Not a good dog to have around.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 22:34:06 »
Just a quick update... the owner of the dog txt me today and is going to ring me tomorrow.

All the other chooks fine - few feathers missing but still got 6 eggs so they are ok.

Cockeral on the otherhand is really shook up - he really went for me as soon as i stepped in the gate today - think i might try and rehome him as he is getting more vicious.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 22:54:06 »
Good luck with the owner, make him pay,
funny thing with cockrells you thought he would have protected the girls. Now going for you ? shock?
our two silkie cockrells have been fighting this week most strange they have grown up together.
 May be the younger is feeling too ambishious? but he has been put in his place.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 08:35:29 »
spring is in the air and hormones are racing hence fighting cockerals.   Still not heard more from the owner - think the cockeral had gone to bed, he usually is the first one and think he prefers to pick on me rather than a big dog LOL

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 21:54:37 »
Well your easier than a big dog? a kids water gun does work a quick squirt.
As for the dog owner, back to the police station and tell them you want them to press charges, as it may not be a chicken next time might be a child and see the police move. Tell them you will go to your MP and the local papers.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 20:02:45 »
please dont take this the wrong way but if a dog can get in your chickens then a fox can also , then who will you blame ? the fox or the poultry keeper  on our allotments there are loads of stray dogs wandering also cats and many many foxes and i guess we have learned to make our plots very secure against attacks  from predators  if my birds get attacked the only person i shall blame is myself as i should have made sure that the predator cannot get in 
 but i am really sorry for your loss  kindest regards mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal