Author Topic: sweetcorn all out :)  (Read 5587 times)

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
sweetcorn all out :)
« on: May 29, 2004, 09:58:46 »
Has everyone else got theirs out??  I put mine out yesterday, aabout 40-45 plants (bit short lol).  But I couldnt fit many squashes in!! I stuck in 2 melons and 1 mound of butternut seed.  BTW can I plant squashes around my toms??> because I spaces those 2.5ft rows and about 20inchs apart...

Anyways some pics - I like pics lol.

Corn in the tray - you can see why I am planting it out!!!

nicely developed root system I thought!!

One of my melons - think this was a fastbreak.

And finish product.  I know its weedy.  Its mostly clay underneath (except about 1/3) so it has a mulch on top.  5 rows of corn, 15" apart each way.

Hope nobody minds the pics :)

ken

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Re:sweetcorn all out :)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 10:52:28 »
Very nice too.Keep them coming we all like plenty piccies. ::) 8) :o :D :D
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 11:32:47 »
Got mine out yesterday too Kingkano.  Poor things had very cramped feet in their 2 inch pots too.  Interplanted with some squashs( thanks Multi Veg)  and a couple of butternut squashes that I have grown from the seed of a shop bought one.  Dont know how well they will do though because I had only just finished riddling that bed about 1/2 hour before the things went in.  
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 12:12:54 »
Put mine out on Thursday (day before yesterday!), same as you KK they were gettin big (about 7"-12") tho they were in bigger pots I think.  They were still standing yesterday and today it is pouring rain at last so it should be kill or cure.  Anyone know a sun dance?  Don;t suppose the "first people" had need of that just their rain dances.

I haven't planted anything round their feet tho it sounds lovely.  Maybe that was done to conserve moisture in dry soil, so hoping our climate doesn't need that.  First time so it's a 'learning curve'.

Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 12:19:15 »
First time veggie growing for me too Wicker. Steeeeeep learning curve hey.  I planted squash at the base of the sweetcorn because I think it will conserve moisture and also because having to plant so far apart there is an awful lot of waste space underneath the plants.  Think that the method called 3 sisters That I read about in a thread somewhere here also says to grow runner beans up the sweetcorn too.  Have just planted the seeds for the beans so will give it a go.  Will let you know how I get on.

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 15:54:20 »
You can try beans.  I think the problem tho, will be the Indians used bigger corn than we grow here, and it could support beans.  I cant see our corn growing tall enough or strong enough to take it.  Dwarf beans would be a good bet tho ;) I am gonna try some - I just havent got to putting them down yet lol.

Another winner is sunflowers.  Stuck in there somewhere, they supposedly supplement the corn too.  Definitely trying that!!

Glad to see lots of us upto the same point then :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 19:51:42 by kingkano »

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 17:17:12 »
Hmmmm just rethought that then.  Where my plot is it is very windy so perhaps you are right and I am best not to bother growing it up the corn..Back to plan B   :D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 18:03:32 »
I would like to correct my mother Mimi, I grew the butternut squashes from the seeds of a shop bought one not you!!!
Bex

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2004, 18:12:24 »
OOOOOOOOO kids they wont let you get away with anything. ::)
Ok I grew the little white ones that I got from Multi Veg and YOU grew the butternut.  Is that O.K. ???

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2004, 18:28:14 »
Our corn went out on Monday (24th)  and I have dotted various squashes around the bases in piles of poo.  ;D

John_Verney

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2004, 21:08:37 »
My   sweet corn went out about a fortnight  ago and is now over two feet   tall. It is growing well from the bottom and is the first time I  have grown them

RichardS

• Quarter Acre
  • In the wilderness of rural Twickenham....
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2004, 22:27:57 »
If I get time mine's going out tomorrow or monday.  Failing that it will be next weekend, but they're in 6" pots so shouldnt' be too much problem with that.

One didn't germinate, and I put another seed in a couple of weeks ago - was waiting and hoping that one would show, but no joy so I'll abandon hope of a full complement.

Been reading with interest here about the complementary three crop system.  I've got beans up poles elsewhere on the plot, so don't need to grow those up the corn, but I may well plant the courgettes underneath them - they'll be fine there, won't they?

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2004, 10:14:26 »
Sure will RIchard - well this has been the assumption by most of us  ::)

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2004, 20:45:06 »
Well my sweetcorn survived the rain yesterday.  they are standing proud, leaves blowing gently in the warm breeze today.  Rain forecast for today didn't come so guess you msut all have been sun dancing last night  ;D
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2004, 23:08:46 »
Think I will try to get my sweetcorn planted out this coming weekend. Still trying to garden by moon, but am not really bothering about doing things at moonrise/set. Friday & Saturday coming are fruit/seed days...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2004, 23:13:40 »
Mine went out today  ;D  As I planted, I was imagining all that lovely corn...........spect the slugs were too >:(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

OP

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2004, 21:09:59 »
Put most of my sweetcorn out a couple of weeks ago (blaze, and a mini-corn variety I can't remember).  Then last week sowed runners and a nobbly cucumber variety between them.  The las few stagglers of the corn that were a bit runtish a fortnight ago seemed to have done well in my greenhouse, so they went out today at the end of the rows. Probably got about 50 odd plants out there now, with the cucumbers coming up nicely.

Regards the runners growing up - it's an interesting point - I think you're probably right that the native americans had stronger corn varities.  However, I think even UK varieties should be OK with runners going up them.  I've planted one runner plant between every 2nd corn plant, with the idea of basically running a 'net' of runners across the rows.  I'm hopoing this should add a bit of strength to the corns in case of high winds, and it's not going ot be a massive weight for the plants if spread between 2.  An interesting experiment if nothing else :) I'll let you know how I get on...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 21:10:38 by OP »

OP

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2004, 21:11:19 »
incidentally, I like tyhe way the word filter makes k.n.o.b.b.l.y get changed to knobbly  ;D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 21:12:04 by OP »

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2004, 22:04:09 »
The beans best suited for the three sisters method are more likely to be the climbing french beans - not runners.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

JerryB

• Quarter Acre
  • I LOVE WEEDOL!!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2004, 16:10:44 »
Whilst on the subject of things sweetcorn ... i have mulched mine with grass clippings? Good move or bad????????

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal