Author Topic: Rain  (Read 3648 times)

john_miller

• Hectare
Rain
« on: May 28, 2004, 14:16:06 »
I have just read somewhere here (and already forgotten where)  that the U.K. has rain forecast for this weekend. It has been raining almost non-stop here for the past week, not spring showers either. Much flooding, as far west as Wisconsin. As I type this it is coming down in the proverbial buckets. The U.K. may be about to get this too.

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
Re:Rain
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 14:20:48 »
They are forecasting it  :(  they keep pushing it back a day, but the forecast has been a week or so of rain.  Hopefully it'll whither out as it crosses the ocean?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 16:22:54 »
This time, John, we'll be hugely grateful  - if it's a little withered. = Tim

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 16:29:18 »
I have just read somewhere here (and already forgotten where)  that the U.K. has rain forecast for this weekend. It has been raining almost non-stop here for the past week, not spring showers either. Much flooding, as far west as Wisconsin. As I type this it is coming down in the proverbial buckets. The U.K. may be about to get this too.

You are certainly right John. i have often found that weather systems which affect the NE USA/Canada later move across the atlantic to the UK, usualy weaker (hurricanes!) but sometimes stronger.

They were forecasting rain for this afternoon in western UK, but little has materialised where i live (Dorset). I dont know if we have missed it or if it is still to come :-\. They are certainly forecasting heavy rain and wind for monday  >:(

Typical bank holiday!!!

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 16:34:34 »
Could do with it urgently, it hasn't rained here for over three weeks.

Had a slight shower this afternoon, it barely slaked the dust.

Speaking of dust! the sparrows are having a great time   having dust baths on my flower beds.

The Gardener

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 17:06:02 »
Just mowed the lawn here and it is like a dust bowl.  No noticable rain here for over 3 weeks.  Lots of clouds mixed with sunshine here today, but still no rain.  Have given in and got out the sprinkler.  Thankfully our water is not metred.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 20:47:08 »
Prior to this lot it was very dry here too. This can be worrying here as summer really is summer- and dry (as it should be?). When I first came here we could count on intense thunderstorms regularly barreling down out of the Adirondacks (in N.Y. state) on hot summer afternoons. I even saw a triple rainbow once.  Not now (perhaps global warming?) it seems.
The sun has been out for an hour now which is making the air really unstable so more to come I imagine.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 06:13:20 »
Hope the new tornadoes won't hit you, John. = Tim

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 10:47:18 »
Don't think we have had any rain this weekend. That's unusual for a bank holiday weekend  :o
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 12:27:43 »
promises promises eh  ::)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2004, 22:12:15 »
Just started POURING here!!  but can't complain as it is 10.12PM!!  Had a fab sunny day ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 22:23:41 »
Good news Doris, if it is raining with you, it should be with us soon, and it can rain all night please...so long as it has stopped by breakfast!  ;D  Been a glorious weekend and I was suprised at the plot how damp the soil is below the surface, but my baby seedlings are crying out for a bit of rain!

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2004, 00:32:38 »
please, please please let it rain.  i can't find any moisture on my plot even when i go down the full depth of the spade, even the worms have gone deep.

also my plants are starting to show the effects of hot sunny weather & no rain.   if it carries on I'm gonna have to start watering manually.   fortunately i have access to several rain water collections but the walking back and forth is a pain.
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2004, 17:38:04 »
Poured all night, and on and off most of the day in this part of overcast Essex!   Thank you mother nature!  The garden has perked up and flowers that were tightly closed have suddenly opened.  ;D

flowerbaby_uk

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2004, 17:40:25 »
its chucked it here all day and the poor poppies look very sorry for themselves more rain to come as well  :-\

this is in west yorkshire by the way
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 17:41:15 by flower »

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2004, 17:47:26 »
Flaming June

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2004, 18:19:15 »
Rained all night and most of today was drizzling,but WOW :o :D I have a green lawn again.Lovely and sunny(and green now) here in North Wales ;D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2004, 19:23:14 »
Poured all night and poured most of the day with intervals of bright hot sun this afternoon but raining again now!

Will do the peas and fruit bushes so much good!! But you CAN have too much of a good thing!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2004, 20:36:39 »
well its certainly rained here! i decided to go gardening anyway since i don't have much time off and i can weed and put in plant supports in the rain as long as i stay on the path.

it was close to torrential for 2 of teh 3 hours i was outside  :o

as soon as i was rescued by rick the rain stopped and its been sunny and fine ever since. i do apologise the rain appears to be realted to me being outside  ;)

rest assured it'll be a lovely day tomorrow as i am on a train for most of it  :(

the allotment does look much better for the rain though  ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 13:31:14 »
Whatever happened to the longterm forecast of a wet early summer? Wasnt supposed to be like this until the end of july!

Last weekends rain hardly materialised down her in Dorset, we only had an afternoon/evening of light rain (which did good to be sure), but things are drying out again fast with the warm sunshine we are having (green envy smilie alert) and shall be out with the hose again soon (the irrigation systems in the fruit and veg plot have already been back on since the weekend  ::))

What i would realy like is a nice mix of sun and rain. Enough rain to avoid watering, but enough sun to actualy enjoy the garden. It'll never happen though  :(.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal