Author Topic: A Tomato problem  (Read 1463 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
A Tomato problem
« on: May 28, 2004, 11:58:28 »
After a bit of a shaky start, my tomato plants are off and running (at least under cover). However on many of the plants the first truss of flowers is between 18" and 2' up the plant! This would not be a problem if they had unlimited height to grow in but most of my indoor plants are grown on a workbbench an have at best 4/4.5' of vertical space to grow in.  With first trusses being 2' up this means probably only getting a couple of trusses on the plant before they run out of room.  Even if i could give them space by growing on the floor, I'll need about 6' canes to support them and get a decent crop!.

I am blaming the weather and light levels earlier in the spring since sowing the seed, as they appear to have simply grown to get more light. Also the variable temperatures this spring have meant that I have needed the protected growing space so could not give them the space they needed, and have perhaps been over crowded.  

It has only happened with the first sowing batch made in early march, the later batch sown a month later are fine. I am considering using these to replace the 'leggy' plants, which could go outside where space is not a problem.

I was wondering if anyone else has had theis problem, and could help me pinpoint more  the true cause of it so i can avoid the problem in future.

My indoor growing space is a little improvised at the moment but I am hoping to have use of a greenhouse next year.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re:A Tomato problem
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 13:03:15 »
Intuitively I think you're right about the light. I had 2 tomatos that were relatively compact on a windowledge and the cucumber came down in front of them while we were away over the weekend, they 'instantly' doubled their height to get back to the light.

Jeremy

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 13:53:07 »
If you have the space why not top them out early and get extra early fruit?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 16:30:49 »
So many things seem to have etiolated (as John might say?) this year. I've never had such trouble. But not aubergines, strangely.

If you really were committed to that sace, you could always try them laterally, like they do commercially. = Tim

PS This is the sort of thing I mean - grown during those last sunny weeks - in a lean-to - without the shading. Cus & chillies.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 08:10:43 by tim »

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 16:34:18 »
I suppose if ihad thought about it i could have removed the main shoot and let a side shoot grow. The are supposed to produce more trusses than the main shoot i think   ???

Unfortunately i cant now do this since I have dilligently removed the side shoots as you are supposed to  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal