Author Topic: Where's my pear blossom?  (Read 1319 times)

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
Where's my pear blossom?
« on: May 10, 2007, 20:10:15 »
Has everybody else got blossom on their pear trees yet?

My Christmas present from my mum was an "Invincible" minarette pear tree, from Ken Muir.  We planted it  as per instructions in December, and it is alive and growing, but lacking in blossom.  All the leaves are now out.  The apple tree that we planted at the same time has already blossomed and is producing small fruit.

Invincible is supposed to be particularly suitable for the more northerly aspects of the British Isles so  does anyone have any idea why my pear tree has failed to flower?

Thanks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Where's my pear blossom?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 20:17:20 »
none of the new pear trees on our plots has blossomed this year, they're all healthy ,so you're not on your own  :)

greatpalm

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 21:27:49 »
What you describe is perfectly normal. You don't want it producing fruit this early in its life. Much better for it to put its energy into establishing itself.

Pear blossom comes out before apple blossom, in late March through early April.

Steve

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 23:40:35 »
Agree with greatpalm - your tree isn't old enough to reproduce yet. Probably will flower next year, or the year after, be patient  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 23:43:27 »
my asian pear have been in blossom for about 3 weeks although its all gone now.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 01:04:38 »
My Concorde and Conference both blossomed about 2-3 weeks ago.
The Tuscan Beaneater

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 07:39:56 »
     My Conference bloomed about three weeks ago and has plenty of fruit on the tree, but the Concorde that flowered at the same time only has four fruit on it.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 16:09:58 »
Both mine had a lot less blossom this year than last year.
The Tuscan Beaneater

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 19:03:45 »
Thank you all for the helpful replies.  As for it being a young tree - how old are they supposed to be before they blossom?  Mr Muir (himself, I'm sure!) told me that the minarettes were established trees, and I'm fairly sure they're supposed to flower the first year after delivery.  Oh well.

Another question then: hopefully we'll be moving from a half plot to a full plot this autumn.  Will this affect fruiting for next year if I move the tree when it's dormant?

greatpalm

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 21:40:29 »

The trees Ken Muir sells are definately not established trees. They are described as 2 or 3 year old trees. Pear trees should not be producing fruit before 4 years of age.

Minarette trees should be pruned in late summer to retain their slim upright nature. If properly pruned they can be planted as little as 2 feet apart so are ideal for small gardens. They will not produce many fruits however.

Am not sure of the consequences of moving it.

DadnDom

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 21:46:01 »
All ours have blossomed already.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 09:39:50 »
I have a similar  pear tree it is a cordon, I bought it by accident along with my other fruit trees 3 years ago,after I planted it along with the others I realised it was not the usual tree shape and found the error in the paperwork. I couldn't return it as I had planted it .

I took it out a few months later when it was in full green  and pot planted it and replaced it with the right one.

We got pears from it the second year and we had moved it when it had small fruit on.

We  have moved this plant all over,we planted it in the garden at home,then I changed my mind, it went back in the pot, then it got planted on the second lottie when it was growing,  I still can't make up my mind what to do with it. Right now it is in  a spot  that is temporary and it might get shifted this weekend back to a pot again.

It is the wrong time to move it but it is needs must I am afraid.

It has been loaded with blossom this year and has loads of tiny pears on.

This tree is actually very nice, it is in excellent health, a lovely shape and seems very tough.

With all it's travels it produced fruit after I had it 1 year and it was bought as a 2 year old.

Just a ramble for info. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal