Author Topic: Pumpkin & squash growing direction  (Read 723 times)

finchy

• Not So New ...
Pumpkin & squash growing direction
« on: May 09, 2007, 21:53:05 »
A very, very novice question, but just a concern stopping me sleeping!:

When these sprout they grow upwards.  :)

At what stage does the plant decide it needs to go horizontally to 'sprawl'?  ???

Does the main stem stay vertical and then gently curves over later on in life?  ???

The only reason I ask is that I placed my potted ones out in the elements over the past few days and the windy weather has made 50% lopp over. If I then recompact the soil around the stem they will stand straight once again.

Suppose the real question is 'should I leave the plants on their side once the wind has had its way and let them work out where to go?'

As you can tell I never grown these before - but aint it fun trying!  ;D
To plant today is to not plant tomorrow!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Pumpkin & squash growing direction
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 22:13:50 »
Yes, at first they shoot up straight then as they grow they flop over and touch the ground, this quite normal. they will then start to grow longer and longer winding their way in the direction they fancy.Be prepared to train them where you want them to go, or just them go like I do, some types will happilly grow 20 feet in length, don't pinch out the growing tip,some folks will disagree with me on this one,but don't unless is very near to the end of the season and you want all the plants resources to go to the fruit.Leave them on the vine as long as you can until it withers away,unless there is a frost. Depending on the variety you may get 2-10 fruit from one plant.  Have fun squash is my passion ,I have been growing it 40 years.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 22:48:06 »
Isn't it strange how you get answers to questions you hadn't realised you needed to ask?

This site never fails to amaze me!

Sand

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 22:59:52 »
Yep Sand but most squash aren't adapted for Waterhouses!
 ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal