Author Topic: Rhubarb harvest query  (Read 713 times)

Mrs greenjeans

• Not So New ...
  • fighting the brambles on the banks of the Mole
Rhubarb harvest query
« on: May 08, 2007, 20:41:00 »
planted 2 rhubarb plants last year - one fancy 1yrold Champagne crown from crocus online; the other was a generous cutoff from encouraging lottie neighbour. The champagne one grew like crazy and this year bloomed.(I followed advice here & chopped off flower stalks). But the stems are still white, though lots of them. The other one has lovely scarlet stems but is a smaller plant.

my Q is, I thought I wasn't supposed to harvest until yr2, but my gift one looks ready to take, & wondered whether I could as it was part of a v. mature plant.

Also, *ahem*how exactly do you harvest it?  ::)that is, do you cut all the stems at the base or leave some to grow? will the plant grow more this season?

And finally, my champagne one is a monster now, can I cut some lengths from it, and is it supposed to be greenywhite - maybe that's the "Champagne" bit. thanks!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: Rhubarb harvest query
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 20:44:49 »
I planted a champagne this year too & it's got little pink stems.  I would think you could take a few stems from each plant but don't strip it, you just get hold of a stalk & pull - it should come away from the base. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal