Author Topic: Planting Tomatoes out in grow bags  (Read 2601 times)

Joe11

• Quarter Acre
Planting Tomatoes out in grow bags
« on: May 08, 2007, 13:05:29 »
How big should tomatoes be before going outside into grow bags? or doesn't it really matter that much?

joe

Joe11

• Quarter Acre
Re: Planting Tomatoes out in grow bags
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 13:10:57 »
They are gardeners delight if that makes any difference?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 13:26:46 »
It depends what you mean by "big". You should be aiming for a sturdy, slightly chunky plant, rather than just a tall one.

I prick mine out into 3" pots, then pot on the sturdiest ones into 5" pots. (I'm doing this now - nearly finished.) Each time, plant lower than before. Then gradually harden them off. I normally aim for mid-May, but I certainly wouldn't plant them out in this wind. The advantage of being in a 5" pot is that you can keep them "on hold" until the weather is right.

And however big your plants are, I think I'd hold fire before I planted them out. (Now everyone else is going to shoot me down in flames & tell me they've had them in the ground for weeks and are about to start harvesting!!!!)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 13:33:05 »
I think much depends on where you are. Down here in the south people on my plot have had theirs out for a few weeks. Mine aren't yet though, I'm too cautious!
If it's very windy or prone to frost etc where you are it may be better to hold on. Or you could hold some and plant some?  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 16:04:56 »
And DO make sure you have a coherent root system filling the pot - or you're wasting all that compost & making it necessary for the plant to start all over again. And soak well before planting.

This is taller than I would like - because of the lean-to. Hardening off now. Side-shoots not yet removed. 'Ideally' you should have the first flower truss - something I can never achieve.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 16:27:19 »
I've put mine out straight from 3" pots for the first time - usually do one more re-pot in 5". Fingers crossed (also have back ups in the cold frame for each variety just in case).

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 17:54:50 »
I believe that, if you are the 5" sort, they can be sown direct into them. Saves much hassle?

Mine always go out from 3".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal