Author Topic: Spuds flowering  (Read 1870 times)

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
Spuds flowering
« on: May 07, 2007, 21:28:17 »
Hi all,I noticed today that two or three of my rocket earlies are flowering already,is this normal for this variety and is anybody else's spuds doing so?Thanks.. :)

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
Re: Spuds flowering
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 21:32:27 »
Can I jump in here too - first earlies Lady Chrystal no flowers - second earlies Majestic tons of buds  ???
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 21:46:08 »
My first earlies are flowering too.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 21:50:42 »
But my second earlies are flowering before my first earlies - confused as only ever grown first before  ???
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 22:46:28 »
noticed at the weekend that my rockets have flower buds too

SGuy

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 16:57:48 »
Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie to this forum and to growing veg.  We don't actually have an allotment but have put in a small plot in our garden and a few pots on the patio.  It's great to read the discussions and suggestions on the site, particularly helpful to me as a beginner to all of this. 

I'm so relieved to hear that other people have got flower buds on their potatoes too - I saw the buds on mine yesterday and was worried that they were flowering too soon.  My earlies are Maris Bard and I've also got some second earlies (Estima). 

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 17:01:00 »
welcome to the site, sguy, I think the early spring has brought everything on  :)

SGuy

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 17:05:42 »
Thanks   ;D

GaryJS

• Not So New ...
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 15:03:14 »
My rockets are flowering too! Infact, I just harvested nearly 12lb from a container grown one at home :) Should be nice at tea time! I carefully removed the pot, took off some of the bigger spuds and then put the plants back in the pot and gave them a good water :) Hopefully I can keep doing that for a couple of weeks until the ones at my plot are ready :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 21:18:27 »
that's so good - to have potatoes already. I know it must be possible, as they're on sale. But my plants aren't flowering yet - do you have to wait till they flower before you can eat the potatoes?

This is my first year for earlies. Normally i have pink fir apple and theyre really late. when can i eat them? I can't even remember what I planted, I know some arran pilot. apart from them I've forgotten.

GaryJS

• Not So New ...
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 16:25:17 »
I didn't wait for the ones at home to flower.
BTW.. They tasted great!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 21:18:01 »
did you just have a look to see if they were big enough and then dig them up?

GaryJS

• Not So New ...
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 22:38:25 »
Pretty much. I have them in a container so I tipped the container out (after watering so that the compost held firm) and picked off the biggest ones from around the edge (+ a couple from inside). When I had done that I simply put the whole lot back in the container, watered again to bed it back in and now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all those tiny bean sized ones I saw get to be a bit bigger!

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 13:40:26 »
When early potatoes flower it means that you can start harvesting them - happy eating all.  My greenhouse ones have not yet started - I have checked.  So I'm afraid its only broad beans for me.

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Teej

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 14:56:30 »
We ate our first ever home-grown potatoes last night.  Red Duke of York -  absolutely delicious.  We even took a photo of them we were so proud!

Grew them in a bucket in the greenhouse & we've got another 5 buckets on the go too, (some more RDoY & some Charlotte) one in the greenhouse & the others outside.  I had the tiny baby ones with my salad at lunchtime - well, it was a shame for them to go to waste!

I did notice that they cooked extremely quickly so I don't know if that's the case with all home-grown or not.

Just can't wait for our next harvest now, but we're trying to ration ourselves. ;D

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 20:54:42 »
My Red Duke of York have flower buds too!!

But I thought it would be too early to dig them up... maybe I'll try one at the weekend!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal