Author Topic: papaya seeds?  (Read 1609 times)

dannylewis

• Quarter Acre
    • My allotment
papaya seeds?
« on: May 27, 2004, 19:34:47 »
hi there i am going to try and grow papayas :o, from seed, what it is i bought a papaya the other day an i am letting the little black seeds/pips dry out, does anyone have a clue wether they will germinate or not? ??? but it's worth trying, coz you only have to look at Emma.j, her mum (i think) bought a mango cleane it and got the seeds from in it, next thing she knows she has a mango plant!!!

dannylewis
www.freewebs.com/lottieplot:- My website, obviously

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re:papaya seeds?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 19:40:47 »
Danny, I am so glad that you have posted this question because that is exactly what Im doing too.  ;)  Has anyone grown papaya  and can help us out??
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

dannylewis

• Quarter Acre
    • My allotment
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 19:42:33 »
hi there mimi, i don't really know what to do with them, i'll search the net and have a look for you and me both.
www.freewebs.com/lottieplot:- My website, obviously

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 21:48:29 »
Papaya and pawpaws are the same aren't they?  If they are, then yup, grew them last year from the fresh seed, however, they hated the drop in temperature and after a strong start, all died  :'(.  They seemed to make a good bit of top growth, but hardly any roots.  I think with a lot of these tropical fruits, they need quite high humidity, like they would in the jungle!  ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 22:38:56 »
Reading through past threads and came across this one. I remember my parents growing papaya/pawpaw from seed in South Africa. They germinate really easily but are quite fussy about the cold, do not like a frost at all. The root system is fairly shallow and so get thirsty very quickly but don't like to sit in damp soil. Like hot sunny conditions, not sure about humidity, my parents farm didn't get high humidity all of the time. If I recall correctly they like a good nutritious mulching, horse manure ideal.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal