Author Topic: Dumb question re weeds  (Read 889 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Dumb question re weeds
« on: May 07, 2007, 21:48:21 »
Hi, we are getting a lot of rooty weeds this year, we haven't had them before we only got annuals, I think because we rested one plot last year and the  plot next to it had been neglected for a long time it has crossed over. I presume it is  the couch grass I hear you are talk about but as I have never had any experience with it I am not sure,I have asked on the lottie and I keep getting conflicting answers. It has runners like nettles, but it is course tall grass, you can cut your finger on it if you are not careful pulling it.

Then today I was told the mares tail is gradually creeping along the lotties,  that I do recognise but have never had it in my garden,it is apparently just three plots down from me but across the road, that lottie owner has just given up because of it. Should I be scared of this and what can I do please. Is it really bad enough that someone would have to give up?

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Dumb question re weeds
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 21:51:55 »
No, not at all. You may end up having to live with it, but as long as you keep hacking it back as it comes up it doesn't do too much harm. It was all over my father 's plot when I was a kid, it was more nuisance value than anything.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 21:55:17 »
Robert do you mean the mares tail or the other one ? XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 21:55:25 »
good grief, I hope not, all our plots have a bit of it..people worry so about weeds, nobody is ever completely weed free, unless they use very strong weed killer, even mares tail can be kept under control by pulling it out, like bindweed..the only one we're worried about is knot weed and I've since found out, thanks, emaggie, that it's very slow growing..
if the soil in your beds is in good condition, it doesn't like it, it likes cold, unused wet clay, eric says it likes it's feet in clay, so, don't worry, jeannine,  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal