Author Topic: Birds,Birds,Birds............  (Read 718 times)

aob9

• Quarter Acre
  • Fermoy, Co.Cork,Ireland
    • My Blog
Birds,Birds,Birds............
« on: May 06, 2007, 22:24:26 »
I knew that would get your attention.....!!!!!!!!!  ;)

I got away with it last year but nature being nature the birds are back.
 I built an enclosure for my fruit garden to keep out wildlife( and children) but it is open at the top. Now each morning I have visitors of the feathered kind tearing up the mulch around my blueberries and digging around my strawberry beds. This is not really a problem just yet but when these plants show some ripe fruit I won't be first to get at it.I am also worried they might start digging around my veggie beds full of seedlings.

I bought some netting but I find it very difficult to stretch it over my enclosure because it doesn't have a fixed shape i.e it stretches creating uneveness at the edges.

Can anybody suggest a netting that has a fixed shape when rolled out (or unfolded) allowing easy attachment to an existing structure? I would much rather cover the entire enclosure rather than each individual bed for all sorts of reasons ( such as weeding and harvesting).

Also, is there any alternative method to deter birds. I heard old cd's are useful...is this true?

Thanks for reading.

Anthony.
Anthony

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
Re: Birds,Birds,Birds............
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 23:01:02 »
A scarecrow?
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

lin

• Half Acre
Re: Birds,Birds,Birds............
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 23:39:03 »
I hung cds in my cherry tree last year but don't know how much it helped, not sure if it was the birds or the human trespassers that made my cherries evaporate though! A friend of mine hangs windchimes in her trees which she says works, but I don't know if the nearby householders would appreciate a constant tinkling through the night.

I will stick to the cd's... Lin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal