Author Topic: tips for making brussel sprout seedlings?  (Read 1385 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
tips for making brussel sprout seedlings?
« on: May 14, 2007, 10:42:25 »
I am not having much luck growing sprout seedlings indoors...can anyone tell me how to do it? They sprouted but now they have gone all shrivelly.
Thanks
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

agapanthus

• Hectare
Re: tips for making brussel sprout seedlings?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 10:59:10 »
I made a small seed-bed on my lottie.....kept it well watered (when we had all the sunshine) and it has done really well. Initially it was covered in fleece just for a bit of protection. I planted all my brassicas, leeks and some herbs this way:)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 11:14:32 »
I think I may be stingy on seed! Anyway i sowed individual seeds in modules and then put these in the coldframe. I sowed in the beginning of April and I planted out on Saturday morning when they were about 6" high with 6 true leaves (and starting to get module bound).

I usually order brussel sprout plants rather than grow my own - and they are normally delivered beginning of May for transplanting - so hopefully what I have done is okay. I have to say though that the plants I raised from seed this year looked much healthier than the plants I normally get through the post.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 11:22:49 »
hmmm those are ideas.
I have some seed modules from some lettuce plants, maybe I should wash them and use those. Should I keep the seedlings indoors or on the balcony? I don't have a greenhouse or coldframe.
I thought of doing leek seeds indoors but have decided to dig a little square in the garden and try the seeds directly there to get the baby leek plants ready for planting out. Hubby goes mad with all these little seed pots in the house, he says it is too messy.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 11:26:18 »
I think it's warm enough for the balcony - just keep them watered. If i remember you are in France? - so I am not sure of the temps there are the moment - but if sun is very warm you may want to watch that it doesn't dry out the modules too quickly.

Hope this helps
Suzanne

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 12:29:29 »
I don't consider it stingy to plant one seed per cell!

I always do this for the simple reason; they are easier to pot on and I only grow the number I need so the packet lasts me for a few years.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 12:42:24 »
I have manged to get 2 types germinated (Green and Red )to the first 2 leaf stage and i want to pot them on.

Not sure should i pot them on now or would it be better to trasplant to final position and pop a closh over?

Am i right in thinking they like hard compacted soil??

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 14:26:40 »
I don't pot my BS or any of my brassica seedlings on as planting direct into position at this time of year doesn't feel to risky - after all if they went in a seedbed they would be out in all weathers anyway. But I only transplant when they have proper leaves.

They do like firm soil. Apparently the sprouts tend to be loose or blow if not in firm soil and similarly caulis won't produce a compact head if they aren't in firm ground

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 15:34:31 »
Mine went a bit shrivelly too and I thought they were ill, but it turned out to just be the first set of leaves (the ones before the first true leaves - there's probably a technical name for them but I don't know it). When the true leaves appeared they seemed to be fine, although the seedlings are a bit slow-growing compared to my others.

I think perhaps it's just what they do, but as I've never grown them before I'm not sure. Any info would be very welcome.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 17:18:53 »
tips received from eric
plant one seed per fibre pot , in potting compost, or in a jiffy 7..when it's germinated, water only from the bottom
when it outgrows it, plant into larger pot in potting compost again..plant out when you want to
lots of faffing around?..yes, but great if there's clubroot or lots of slugs and snails  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal