Author Topic: Aggghhh ruddy red mite  (Read 1839 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Aggghhh ruddy red mite
« on: May 06, 2007, 20:42:28 »
Discovered red mite in my chook house yesterday and spent ALL day scrubbing with Jeyes... THen my lotty neighbour gave me some creosote and it took about 3 hours to do inside and out. Didn't help having a little Pekin jumping on my shoulder every 5 minutes... but went back today and i couldnt see any live ones left.  Dusted all the birds with red mite powder and keeping fingers crossed!

I'm thinking my little orpy might have been a victim of the red mites acouple of weeks ago - though she had been unwell for a while so was easy pickings i guess.

Lost in France

• Not So New ...
Re: Aggghhh ruddy red mite
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 18:15:22 »
I have found Diatomous Earth completely eradicates and prevents red mite and lice and it's non-toxic, in fact the birds can eat it and it helps condition! The stuff, called Diatom, is tiny diatoms which damage the outer layer of mites and lice so they die in a couple of days. I dust a small quantity round the henhouse each time I clean it and haven't had a problem with mites since I started. It's not cheap but goes a long way...not sure if I'm allowed to give you the supplier on the Forum but mail me if you'd like it. The supplier has won awards and sends lots of info about the product and does other environmentally friendly stuff as well.

Good luck!

Judi

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: Aggghhh ruddy red mite
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 22:21:49 »
Thanks for the offer, the birds were being eaten and going down rapidly so creosote worked a treat, there wasn't much time for enviro friendly treatment - it had to be quick.  I'm happy that they are all dead, but the big clean out is this weekend so will keep my eyes peeled for the little blighters.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal