Author Topic: Rip-off Britain strikes again!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 728 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Rip-off Britain strikes again!!!!!!!!!!
« on: May 05, 2007, 15:11:41 »
Today I've been trying to book a short break in Edinburgh for my parents & myself for the end of September.   All we want is somewhere clean to sleep that does breakfast.   

Sounds simple enough if it was just for the parents.......as soon as I add in myself as a single person the price goes stupid high.    Why, oh why do I have to pay double rate for a single room that will only sleep me???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The inclusion of myself in the break takes the hotel price over £300 for Christ's sake which puts it out of reach of my parent's budget (they're both retired) and mine too.   

If anybody knows a nice clean basic B & B or hotel where we can get accomodation for three people for three nights for a budget maximum of £150 please can you send me details.   I need to get it booked pdq as it's the Christmas present for the parents.

Thanks to all

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Re: Rip-off Britain strikes again!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 17:57:40 »
Really annoying isn't it  >:(

I had decided that this year that we will have a change and holiday for the first time in 21 years in 'this' country in July.

My children are well travelled, they have been all over the world on family holidays and i am completely ashamed to say that they have never visited Cornwall or Devon once  :-[
So we were going to put paid to that this year.

I reasearched and planned out the trip, but once i had costed it, i couldnt believe it, :o
Ok, i have standards and i like things to be nice, well thats what its all about when your away isnt it? ???
So having costed a week away in Cornwall in high season, guess where we are off to?
Cuba ~ well it cost much the same  :o

Sorry ive got no hints and tips carrot~cruncher, but ohhhhh i sympathise on the rant  >:(
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 18:01:42 by honeybee »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 19:20:56 »
We always use the  laterooms or lastminute websites, but if it's for Christmas I guess that's too far ahead. Might be cheaper to book a self-catering 2-bed flat?

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 10:37:43 »
Charging extra for a genuine single room is a bit naughty, especially as they are often very small in British hotels and guest houses.

However, I can understand charging a supplement for single occupancy of a double or twin room, especially in larger hotels with bar and restaurant facilities.  The overheads are the same – heat, light, laundry, cleaning etc – but there is only one person potentially spending money on meals, drinks and the like, instead of two.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 14:27:30 »
I do know that Hotel prices in Edinburgh are expensive, but listed below is the Tourist Board Web site with B & B accomodation.  Perhaps that may come up with a suitable place to stay during SEPTEMBER.  Good luck, worth a visit its a beautiful city.   ;) ;)

http://www.edinburgh.org/accom/

Scottish Tourist Board

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal