Author Topic: MORE Tomatoes!  (Read 1437 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
MORE Tomatoes!
« on: May 26, 2004, 21:56:19 »
Maybe we should ask Dan for a section specifically for Tomatoes at this time of the year! :)

All you wonderous tom growers out there...........how often, and how much do you all water them?
Have heard that if you overwater you can end up with tasteless tomatoes, and I don't want that!! :o

When the soil is dry? Or keep em damp?  Mine are in the greenhouse as well as outside.
Last few years watered daily, my crops have never been that great tho.

Any answers gratefully recieved ;D
Dottie P
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:MORE Tomatoes!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 07:37:29 »
Can't answer for outside but, inside - given the state of mine (see pic) & current weather - I'm  giving them a litre a day.
If the weather really hots up, they'll get double that.
It is particularly the cherries that suffer from over-watering.

I double check frequently with a moisture meter to keep them just moist. = Tim

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 19:25:39 »
Tim, those troughs+wicks of ours are working great as usual.  Plants are kept steadily watered!! Is there an emoticon for "smug" - hope I'm not using  :-[ before the summer is out!!

Tell you what tho, I did trip over Mr W's trays of tomato  seedlings a while back knocking some out of pots and thought I had replaced them all in correctly named pots.  Maybe not so as he is commenting on how two of the Sungold look "different" and other varieties aren't coming at the same rate as their 'relatives'.Maybe he will regret being so forgiving at the time.  ::)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 20:33:01 »
Couldn't agree more - except that for 30-40 bags it's something of a problem?? = Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal