Author Topic: So So Sad  (Read 5481 times)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
So So Sad
« on: May 03, 2007, 18:30:41 »
This is a picture of the inside of a greenhouse a few gardens from me.
If you asked him for one of those plants he would say no, i might need them , He would not give you one. Evey year i watch them grow and watch him throw them out still full of ripe fruit.
What is so sad about it is there are so many ways the tomato,s could be given to the elderly in the village, who would be so greatfull for local grown greenhouse Tomato,s

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: So So Sad
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 18:35:58 »
some people just can't be reasoned with, we have the same with a guy who lives in a flat, no family, grows 30 cabbage, a 20' row of double runners and ends up putting most of it on his compost   >:(
takes me back to my mum's words  " starving people in africa"

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 18:53:17 »
For a moment, I thought that you'd lost a loved one!!

Yes - I have surplusses, but I haven't time to offer them to all the 'poor' in the Cotswolds! They go to the May Plant Sale or out on the road for MONEY.

Did you ask him for one?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 18:55:13 »
It' must be quite common cos there are a few on our sites that are just the same. Someone on ours threw loads of PSB out while it was at it's best. I felt like going and pinching some cos I hadn't got much. Then someone did ask me if I would like some and gave me a few sprigs , not even enough to feed one of us. Some queer folks around eh! On the whole allotment gardeners are quite generous though.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 19:06:11 »
Why grow something that you will throw away when its ready to harvest! Any extras I grow go to friends and family - funny old world isn't it?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 19:10:01 »
Oh yes, of course , we DO give many to our dear neighbours.

And get the like back!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 20:05:04 »
Sounds like an ex-neighbour of ours, who always grew masses of PSB; but they only ate the leaves. When it started to flower, he pulled it up and threw it away! We did try to learn them, but they looked at us as if we were doing something kinky!

Takes all sorts.... Lucky we're all normal, isn't it?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 21:59:04 »
Are there any poor people left in the cotswolds Tim?
 ;D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 19:55:58 »
PMSL @ SADDAD :D

I always give my extra tomatoes, potatoes, salad etc. to the local Salvation Army home for the elderly. Then I trot down the road and give the rest to the homeless refuge.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 22:30:00 »
We have a few like that on our allotments, the sad thing is that I always grow extra plants to give to other plot holders knowing they'll never return the favour.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 22:42:23 »
Maybe he's one of those people whose house is full of rubbish!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 22:44:13 »
I would truly like to get into the head of someone who doesn't share and would rather throw it away. I have to wonder if they are just too shy to offer,or perhaps they think people will be offended in some way, or even lack of time would make a bit of sense if they don't know anyone to approach. It can't be greed  if it is no use to them. I simply don't understand it. Sharing is a very enjoyable experience I think, this post has had me thinking quite a lot actually. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 23:14:19 »
On out site we have four garden inter linked if any one has any thing left over its "any one need some ???? or have you got any ??? there has never been a problem on sharing. A couple of years back one of the holders was a bit short of Cabbages, Captain Greedy had two trays standing 40 plants, he was asked if he could spare some Answer " No i might need them " they were still in the trays  unused at the end of the year.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 07:30:37 »
For several years we've had a "swap table". Anyone with spare plants just leaves them there and anyone who wants can take.

Newcomers were often quite embarassed: "But we've nothing to leave in exchange!"

"But you will, another year...."

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 20:50:34 »
We have a swap 'shelter' at the bottom of our lottie, where unwanted stuff is left. I am amazed at what some folk don't want!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 23:41:18 »
I like the idea of a swap table - I've tried my hardest, but can't give away my spare melons, peppers, tomatoes, aubergines or pumpkins / squashes

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 19:55:16 »
Swap table sounds great. As we are getting friendlier on our site (note, amongst newbies) and are swapping between ourselves, I will suggest it.
Where is the pleasure in growing loads of stuff you know you aren't going to use? Again, did you ask, or offer swap?

Smile, it confuses people.

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 21:20:24 »
what a great idea!
gonna mention it to some of the others.......because although there are a few who would give...we have a few new plotholders that are a little shy methinks!
a great way to foster the "plotties together" feeling!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 21:25:25 »
I always pop over and meet the newbies and usually offer something, it's like taking a jar of homemade jam and scones to a new neighbour XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 21:32:13 »
Ooh, more ideas!Thanks everyone. I was thinking about a 'free to good home' table at the end of my lottie, but I may suggest a swap table.

I also like the idea of taking something to the newbies. we have just had a man take over a plot on our lottie. Mind you, I dont know when he will be able to plant anything, as it is covered in brambles. Boy does he have his work cut out!!

cj :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal