Author Topic: Water Mint (Mentha Aquatica)  (Read 2846 times)

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Water Mint (Mentha Aquatica)
« on: May 26, 2004, 18:42:54 »
Picked one of these plants up from the local garden centre last week - The instructions suggest that it's best used as a marginal but I thought I had read somewhere that it can be used fully submersed.  Can anyone help?  If it can be used fully submersed what depth can it tolerate? Also is it better in a sunnier or shadier part of the pond.

cheers

Tony

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
Re:Water Mint (Mentha Aquatica)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 20:42:00 »
Hi Tony,

I used some in a pond I built.  Was 9' x 5' wide and 3' deep, with marginal shelf at 1'.  I put mine on the marginal shelf, not too sure if you can put it deeper but think so, as it is quite strong.  However, although I didn't have any probs with it, maybe someone could comment on whether root system does any damage to butyl liners.  

Muddy Boots

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 21:43:15 »
Hi Tony and Kate.I have some in my  nature pond,just round the edges but if you plant it any more than the recommended 3 inches depth you will find the leaves go very manky,and the flowers will be under water.I have a lot growing on my rockery too,so it does not need much water.it is not the best plant in the world for ponds.What about the water cress idea?
Margaret

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 18:25:35 »
Cheers girls,

Unfortunately my pond doesn't have a marginal shelf so I may have to raise the mint up a bit on a couple of stones or something - It's currently at 18" and not looking too bad although admitedly it is early days!!

I've not started cultivating the water cress yet, was leaving that project till maybe my leg was a bit better  :(  The Nishikoi Blanket Weed product we discussed seems to be working really well at the moment and I thought that with a couple of new plants (the mint and another PF) The Blanket Weed would be well and truly on it's way out.

thanks

tony

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal