Author Topic: broody hen  (Read 3381 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
broody hen
« on: April 13, 2007, 02:09:36 »
one of my lovely buff orps,Ginny (Weasley), has become a very broody hen. Or "clocker" as they are called in these parts.  Trouble is...she is vicious as hell.  she drew blood on me the other day..and I was wearing gloves lol!  She has got OH good style on that fleshy bit between the inside wrist and the elbow,he's got a big bruise alongside his bloody scab lmao!  Today I prised her off the nest with my broom because I didn't dare get too close,where upon she attacked my wellies. She is hilarious,like a fluffed up turkey, but very scary!

Was at an Ostrich farm yesterday...now they really are scary...sheesh !

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: broody hen
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 08:03:53 »
I know what you mean ... I have 3 gone broody at the moment - all growling but lucky not too vicious yet!

PHILMT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 19:55:15 »
they sound scary!!! 

what are they like after you take away the eggs?   

« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 19:57:03 by PHILMT »

missie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 23:19:21 »
They are as daft as hell, scarey beady eyes, hot and sweaty, fluffed up and stupid. Just got two of mine off of been broody.

My fav chook was allowed to hatch little chooks last year. I thought she was vicious broody but got even worse with chicks. Even went for the dogs juggular very funny seeing as she was a pekin and he was a large lab.

from missie

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 23:21:09 »
I have had my first hen become broody this past week. How long does it last - she keeps sitting on all the eggs. Shift her no problem though.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

missie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 06:36:13 »
 ::)hello KT

You need to cool her down. It may feel very unkind but you need to get her out of the nest box and put her in a cage or box wher she is open to the elements. Don't leave them out in the rain or direct strong sunlight.

I put mine in a spare gineau pig cage ( they are only little choocks) for a few days and don't let them nest. my two most persistant have been detered by place lots of sticks and perches on the floor so that they have to engage their brains if they want to move.

from missie

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 23:07:55 »
A few years ago I had a maram go broody, well she would growl and pretend to peck as long as I had eye contact with her she was fine.
But when I collected the eggs next box she would put her beak in my ear and scream. She got me everytime, mind you I was with her when a egg under her explode you should have seen her face a picture.
Baby our silki sat for just over 7 weeks worried me sick she was hatching a lump of soil? but did give up in the end.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 21:28:15 »
Hows your broody going??? Mine is still on the nest so keeping fingers crossed... only thing is i cant remember when i set the eggs. :o

Lost in France

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 21:41:06 »
I have silkies and they are regularly broody but very gentle. Glad they're not like those you all describe!! At the moment I have 3 broody ones and they are all in the nest box on a clutch of eggs! Last year I had all 5 broody and taking turns to sit for the 5 weeks required to hatch 5 peacock eggs! They're only little birds so it was very amusing seeing them trying to keep the 5 enormous eggs covered...but they managed to hatch 2 and were delightful "mums"! Also lovely watching their " babies" grow bigger than them yet still acting like babies and trying to hide under "mums" feathers!

I love my girls when they're broody as they're soooo cuddly and cute...would recommend gorgeous silkies for their gentleness! Although they only have small eggs, the yolks are as large as bigger eggs and they lay well....except when they're broody...like now...but then they're all cuddly instead!!

Judi

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 23:22:59 »
I did as you said missie for 4 days. She then went straight back on the eggs. So she is now back in isolation, in a cage, exposed to the elements which is where she will stay for at least 2 weeks now. She has her own food, water and roof over her head even though she is outside the main cree but within the run.

Mind you, Since I first put her in isolation, my eggs have reduced from 7-8 to 4 daily so some of the others have stopped laying at this time. Maybe co-incidence but I dont really know.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 14:50:53 »
Well my vicious broody Ginny has been put into her own pen where she is nice a quiet. A couple of weeks ago I told my OH that I had been amazed to see our very large buff orp cockerel MrHonker on top of our wyandotte banty Dave (Dave's a girl!).So ofcourse OH now wants to see the result of such an alliance and has put a handful of little Dave's eggs under Ginny. I'm not holding out much hope as I can't believe Mr Honker would have hit home base with Dave   :o  but we shall see.  ;D Dave is a silver laced wyandotte. MrHonker is a lovely golden coloured buff. 

Will have to check when the eggs were put under her.

Whilst Ginny was still in with the other hens her two sisters started making signs that they were getting broody...it seems to have worn off them quite quickly thank goodness as they totally change temperament and become really horrid!

Love your story about the peacock eggs and your silkies Judi.  ;D  ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 15:17:28 »
I've got one broody that has been sitting on 6 eggs for two weeks now.  I have her separated from the others and lift her off twice a day to encourage her to take a drink and have something to eat.   She pecked me this morning but didn't draw blood.  It was just a "I don't want to be moved" peck.    :D

Another hen went broody yesterday but I put this one into a separate run without a nest box.  I will leave her there for about 3 days until she cools off.    ::)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 12:29:14 »
I've got another broody orpy. Hermione is even bigger than Ginny and was very upset about being moved off some eggs the other day,feathers fluffed up and growling.
 Amazing change in personality considering I usually pick them up and give them a tickle  ;D

I put a handful of corn in Ginny's food hopper and everyday it is gone...I know she can't resist it  :D but it lets me know she is getting out of the nest . I don't have to don protective clothing and I don't have to upset her. She looks very happy and very cosy.

Her chicks are due this weekend. Typical because we will be away. Same happened last year. I have someone to look after them so all will be well. I'm not actually holding out for much success to be honest, I just can't believe MrHonker could have fertilised Dave's eggs lol!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 22:07:11 »
Two of mine have been broody for weeks & one of them gets nasty she is called Jimmy [what is it with male names for our girls?  :)] The first time it happened I put the chicken in a rabbit hutch with sticks on the floor so she couldn't sit.  She then spent the next couple of days rubbing her beak on the wire till she made it bleed at which point I gave up & put her back with the others.  Since then I haven't bothered & just let them get on with it.

PS I have noticed that when they are broody they only want to eat corn, avoiding the pellets & kitchen scraps.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 22:24:55 »
I havent candled my eggs so unsure how mine are going - i've given them all a gentle shake and only one is sloshy so thing the other 4 might be growing.

Fingers crossed i think they are due at the weekend.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 09:45:36 »
Any peeping yet?  I always love hearing it - so exciting.  :)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 20:00:38 »
I adopted 9 farmyard banties this year ....They were very wild but are settling steady ...now 6 of em are broody  ;D   ..I am sitting 4 of them on 3 or 4 eggs each ,,
Here is   the first hatching ,Its hard to get a pic as she calls them under her whenever I enter ,,,,,

Cheers .. Jim

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 21:59:06 »
They are beautiful - don't banties make wonderful mummies?  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal