Author Topic: Downsizing!  (Read 2087 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Downsizing!
« on: May 04, 2007, 19:40:05 »
Hi folks!

As of this week I no longer have a lottie. Long story, but my 87 year old Mum is taking up more of my time and what with work and life etc, it seemed the right thing to do to give it up.

All is not lost, as I am ripping up lawn to use as a veg patch! Someone told me recently that lawns are sooooo 80's! So I will be looking forward to the challenge of getting as much as possible out of a considerably smaller space.

Just thought I would let you alll know, I will still be mulching like mad and hope the spirit of SS will be smiling down on me and laughing!

K  :-\

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Downsizing!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 20:43:36 »
Good luck with the new veggie patch Katy. Did you manage to rescue some of the plot plants? Such as rhubarb crowns and other perennials?

Good luck too with Mum. I take my hat off to those who care for their elderly parents. Too many offspring are happy to put them into care homes these days.

Tricia

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 20:47:39 »
Hi katynewbie, sounds like you're making the right decision for your circumstances.  Look forward to seeing your before and after pix of the garden veg plot!  Good luck with it, and hope things are ok with mum x  :-*
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 21:03:03 »
Good luck from me K. and best wishes to your Mum. Are you "de-turfing" (if there is such a word) before you dig? Hope it's a bit easier than a border I dug today, ye gods we need rain!!
Lorna.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 22:19:42 »
Good luck with this mini plot and your mum.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 22:21:29 »
Good luck with your new vegetable patch and looking after your Mum.  Not the best of time to be digging up the lawn when it is so dry so my heart goes out to you.   :(
I made a new flower bed last year and had to remove turf but it wasn't baked so hard as it is this year. 

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 23:28:59 »
good luck - post some piccies when you get chance.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 08:33:00 »
Good luck Katy, it must have been a hard choice.  Joy Larkcoms Grow Your Own Vegetables has a section on which veg to grow in a small space to get optimum value/quantity from what you grow which I have found very useful for my plot at home.  It is wonderful popping out in my nightdress to look at my veggie seedlings first thing in the morning with a cup of tea....   Take care.  T.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 08:59:26 »
Good luck with your new patch, Katy and with looking after your mum.  I did the same downsize when OH decided he was too busy to help out on the allotment :(.  As you say, the convenience of being able to pop out and pull up a weed, or check on growth is wonderful.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 10:05:28 »
Good luck.. both my parents cleared off early so to speak.. we have the best of both worlds as our lotiies are over the back fence!
 :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 15:16:57 »
Best of luck Katie it warms the old cockles seeing you take on the responsibility of looking after your mum good for you and the best of British.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 19:21:48 »
Good luck from me too - I think you will be amazed at just how much you can get from a small plot.  I grow loads of different things but in smaller amounts than most people here but I can go & grab something as I am cooking. 

We dug up some more lawn a few months ago - well OH did, he just did a bit at a time though it was hard work. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal